ideas to build the most inexpensive camper! ideas? for fun!

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby mwatters » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:49 am

Recycled pop-ups:
Awww.... you guys are hauling out the nice ones. :lol: The goal was "cheap and fast". My suggestion was to raise the roof of the pop-up, strip out rotted tenting (and the bunks) and install a strip of plywood where the tenting would have been (between the base and roof). Re-use ALL the interior fittings (hoping the dinnette is large enough to be a realistic bed). Four pieces of plywood MAX plus some windows. It's an afternoon project (not counting drying time for the paint).

My mom's neighbor has just such an affair he made as a playhouse for his kids. He kept it in the front yard. NOT pretty... but I'd imagine it was a heck of a lot of fun for the kids!

Septic tanks:
Some are fiberglass... There are some water storage tanks which would work too. Kinda hard to fit windows onto though. :lol:

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Chip » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:09 am

talk to Alan Gedes about inexpensive,,, he built a entire trailer for under 300 bucks,,, now that is a scrounging son of a gun,,,,, and the thing looked good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I think there is a picture or two in his album if ya take a peek,,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby ALAN GEDDES » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:05 am

That trailer is in my album. Out of pocket expense was $297 if I remember correctly. If I was building what you want I would use the foam sheet and tape. Get one cheap axel and wheels, four pieces of 2 inch angle for frame, one piece of 2 x2 sq and hitch and lights and one piece of 3/4 ply and a few furring strips. Cheap super lightweight and fairly strong.
Alan
ALAN GEDDES
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Outlaw » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:50 am

May I ask which one exactly?
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby GHOSTSSX » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:06 am

mwatters wrote:Recycled pop-ups:
Awww.... you guys are hauling out the nice ones. :lol: The goal was "cheap and fast". My suggestion was to raise the roof of the pop-up, strip out rotted tenting (and the bunks) and install a strip of plywood where the tenting would have been (between the base and roof). Re-use ALL the interior fittings (hoping the dinnette is large enough to be a realistic bed). Four pieces of plywood MAX plus some windows. It's an afternoon project (not counting drying time for the paint).

My mom's neighbor has just such an affair he made as a playhouse for his kids. He kept it in the front yard. NOT pretty... but I'd imagine it was a heck of a lot of fun for the kids!

:lol:

mkw

Ira, here's your solution!!!

CHUCK
GHOSTSSX
Teardrop Master

Postby Changer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:37 am

Cardboard and duct tape. You can waterproof it with saran wrap or garbage bags. :P

Hi, I'm new. :)
Changer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:02 pm

Changer wrote:Cardboard and duct tape. You can waterproof it with saran wrap or garbage bags. :P

Hi, I'm new. :)

Welcome, changer.

Actually making the cardboard waterproof is too much like work. And being successful at doing it ain't easy.

Instead use Coroplast (corrugated plastic sign material) as it's already waterproof. That and duct tape will last years even in heavy rain.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby reiltear » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi, all!

I agree with Angib about COROPLAST and duct tape. Here in So-Cal every HD and Lowes carry "code approved" tape which is supposed to last for 30 years. I'll find out the exact "make and model" and post them later. If this kind is not available in your area, try aluminum tape over the duct tape. Regular duct tape will only last a few months at best, I "weatherproofed" my flipped-over 4-Runner, with only very temporary success.
reiltear
Teardrop Master

Postby NightCap » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:56 pm

Hummm. Just a thought...but how big does shrinkwrap come in? Could be a possibility eh?
#1 - 100% Done #2 - 100% Done Thinking about #3
NightCap
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dwgriff1 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:06 am

Welcome to the nut farm. Reiltear.

dave
dwgriff1
500 Club

Postby poco-uno » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:47 pm

how about cutting the sides out of 3/8 OSB and cover it with tyvek?
poco-uno
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Laredo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:24 pm

Now, this is where I'd try a conversion. See if you can find a good but cheap Skamper type pickup-bed popup camper (they'll weigh between 650 and 800 lb) and set it on one of those 40x48 HF trailers. It will be ugly as homemade mud but it will keep you warm and dry and cost under $500.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:33 am

vetteman wrote:
Podunkfla wrote:mwatters... Hmmm... In these parts, a septic tank is usually concrete... and I bet those suckers weigh 3000 pounds? :shock:

http://www.fencing-farm-ranch.com/septictanks1.html

:o :shock: :thinking:

Going through the archives ...... Ain't this the roswell in disguise ???
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby alloffroad » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:53 pm

flat bed trailer and a free camper shell. Or maybe a old horse trailer.
alloffroad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby jdarkoregon » Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:34 am

You might be able to go to a local boat manufacturer and have them srinkwrap it, Around here there is a smokercraft place that sends it's boats out wrapped in a think white srink wrap rubber/plastic type material. They have a few locals take their boats there to be winterized with it.

How about Pink insulation board from HD, glue something thin to it, like 1/8 lam and them glass the corners?

John
Innovation is essential
The world can be better
ImageImage
jdarkoregon
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs