My Giant Teardrop build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby swissarmygirl » Mon May 05, 2008 11:55 am

Mary K wrote:
Are you planning to camp in South Park?? Watch out there are some weird kids there. :lol:

Mk

:rofl:
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Mary K wrote:Image :thinking:

Are you planning to camp in South Park?? Watch out there are some weird kids there. :lol:

Thats a BIG HONKING trailer. This is going to be fun watching this build....you best keep us posted with lots of pictures. :thumbsup:

Mk

I thought that place looked familiar. :lol:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Mon May 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Ivar the Red wrote:Will I still be welcome at gatherings, being that big? :lol:

I've always heard that "size don't matter"!! 8)
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 05, 2008 12:38 pm

thinking something like this for a floor plan, been wondering what to do for my daughter's sleeping arangement, but with the extra room I think the problem is solved.

Looking at it now, if I do that, I may add another door for the other bed.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all time thing. You don't win once in a while, you don't do things right once in a while, you do them right all the time. Winning is habit. Unfortunately, so is losing. - Vince Lombardi
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Mon May 05, 2008 3:44 pm

You could put your daughter's bed up over the storage area and make more room to move the queen bed away from the doors a bit for easier access. Turn it crossways and narrow the storage space, but it would go side to side and give you about the same space.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 05, 2008 5:19 pm

Ok, got the swiped cardboard under my arm and headed home to take more measurements, and make a template. See ya'll in a bit.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Mon May 05, 2008 9:46 pm

rain delay :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

did take some more measurement though,

hope they can be seen, and no Kerry, we won't be using a queen size bed. It's only 52 inches wide. But there is a place here in town that manufactures mattresses, so maybe I can get something custom made. :thinking:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby swissarmygirl » Mon May 05, 2008 9:49 pm

Wow! That's gonna be a helluva!

:o
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." - Albert Einstein

4 Hats Studio
swissarmygirl
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Tue May 06, 2008 4:47 am

Ivar the Red wrote:................ and no Kerry, we won't be using a queen size bed. It's only 52 inches wide. But there is a place here in town that manufactures mattresses, so maybe I can get something custom made. :thinking:

I have a foam mattress custom cut from Knox Foam. Only 45 1/2" width inside.

Looks like it will be a real mansion when you Git-R-Done!!!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 06, 2008 5:51 am

Ok I think this one is a little more legible.

I'm still gonna go with a short, teardrop style profile, it won't be a standy. So the inside will mainly be just for sleeping, and maybe watching tv when it rains. The mattresses are gonna be in 2 pieces to fold up when needed.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby toypusher » Tue May 06, 2008 9:20 am

Johnny, might consider dividing the Large mattress into 3 sections crossways. Then you could fold it up and turn it to one side for even more room. Just a thought.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am

toypusher wrote:Johnny, might consider dividing the Large mattress into 3 sections crossways. Then you could fold it up and turn it to one side for even more room. Just a thought.

:thinking: :thumbsup: :applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yeah, then it could kind of be a couch too, huh.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Hey, 'nother build question here. The wifey wants to burnish (I think that's what it's called when you lightly burn the wood) the outside, and I was thinking of using beaded plywood, turned on side, for a mini-log cabin look. For the ?burnish? look to work, the finish will have to be somewhat clear. Will a butt-load of polyurathane give me the protection I need for the exterior? :thinking:
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby Ivar the Red » Tue May 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Ok it's not called burnishing, it's....
Pyrography is the art of decorating wood or other materials with burn marks resulting from the controlled application of a heated object such as a poker. It is also known as pokerwork or wood burning.

Pyrography means "writing with fire" and is the traditional art of using a heated tip or wire to burn or scorch designs onto natural materials such as wood or leather. Burning can be done by means of a modern solid-point tool (similar to a soldering iron) or hot wire tool, or a more basic method using a metal implement heated in a fire, or even sunlight concentrated with a magnifying lens.

This allows a great range of natural tones and shades to be achieved - beautiful subtle effects can create a picture in sepia tones, or strong dark strokes can make a bold, dramatic design. Varying the type of tip used, the temperature, or the way the iron is applied to the material all create different effects. Solid-point machines offer a variety of tip shapes, and can also be used for "branding" the wood or leather. Wire-point machines allow the artist to shape the wire into a variety of configurations, to achieve broad marks or fine lines. This work is time-consuming, done entirely by hand, with each line of a complex design drawn individually. After the design is burned in, wooden objects are often coloured, sometimes boldly or more delicately tinted.

Light-coloured hardwoods such as sycamore, beech and birch are most commonly used, as their fine grain is not obtrusive, and they produce the most pleasing contrast. However, other woods, such as pine or oak, are also used when required.

But the way she showed my that her Dad did it was with a torch.
Johnny
BUILD THREAD
ImageImageImage
Ivar the Red
HOME RUN TILT

Postby shawnkfl » Tue May 06, 2008 6:40 pm

i've used a small propane torch to burn wood. just the ones used by plumbers. the flame is so small and concentrated though. maybe use a torch with a rosebud tip?
shawnkfl
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs