New Modular Kit Camper Design

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Gird strap concerns

Postby Larry Drake » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 am

The Teal Camper 2 inch "gird strap" cinches the panels together to create a water tight seal and a strong structure. It is not the only thing that holds the panels together, but it is an important element. The panels are also held together with interlocking fingers, a channel at the bottom and a bar at the top.

The ratchet handle can be locked to prevent accidental loosening or tampering.

As far as concerns about someone cutting the strap, it is cinched tight against the panels and it would be difficult to get a knife blade under the strap. Cutting a 2 inch cargo strap is not an easy task. Even with a sharp knife and a loose strap it takes a lot of hacking and sawing. Of course a person with a sharp knife could also slash your tires, break a window, scratch your car or jimmy your lock. :twisted:
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:45 am

Larry Drake wrote:
The ratchet handle can be locked to prevent accidental loosening or tampering.

As far as concerns about someone cutting the strap, it is cinched tight against the panels and it would be difficult to get a knife blade under the strap. Cutting a 2 inch cargo strap is not an easy task. Even with a sharp knife and a loose strap it takes a lot of hacking and sawing. Of course a person with a sharp knife could also slash your tires, break a window, scratch your car or jimmy your lock.

Well stated. :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Re: Gird strap concerns

Postby StPatron » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 pm

Larry Drake wrote:As far as concerns about someone cutting the strap, it is cinched tight against the panels and it would be difficult to get a knife blade under the strap. Cutting a 2 inch cargo strap is not an easy task. Even with a sharp knife and a loose strap it takes a lot of hacking and sawing. Of course a person with a sharp knife could also slash your tires, break a window, scratch your car or jimmy your lock. :twisted:

A knife blade would NOT need to be underneath the strap to slice it. It's been my experience that a tight strap can be more easily cut than a loose one.
StPatron
Donating Member

Postby jagular7 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:00 pm

Since you visit this forum and actually communicate, that is great!!!, I would guess you looked into an interlock of a quarter-turn sprung load mechanism? This would eliminate the exterior limiting mechanism (length of strap), the capability to add/remove sections to gain/lengthen the overall length of the camper, jst 2 quick thoughts.

Modularity (such a word?) - is this camper capable to be setup in a 8' truck bed?
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby deepmud » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:05 am

His site has a rendering of it in a pickup.

I think it's kind of dumb to get all into whether or not morons will be vandalizing this thing more than any other camper. It seems like a funny picture if the camper would fall apart without the strap, but it won't, since the strap is there to make the seals tight, not for the structure, according to the fact that it is assembled with a screwdriver.

Perhaps if someone takes one of these on an expedition it would be more of a concern, but really, you take your chances with the morons attacking your camp regardless of your construction. A slash with a box knife would certainly damage the strap, require replacement, etc. I bet it wouldn't be the only thing vandalized in a camp if someone was turned loosed with mayhem on their mind.

I am more interested in how the camper will hold up to the vibrations of a bumpy road, whether there will be wear points as it shifts in the bed, or is that completely handled by whatever connection there is to the flat-bed trailer. What about the seals the strap is holding tight? Will they let dust in? Will they seep in water being towed at 70mph in the rain? These are questions that will either be shown by the builder using his prototype or by some actually being bought and used. Perhaps someone needs to take that dream-trip up the Al-Can to Alaska they have always dreamed about. Take it to Dead Horse on the Haul Road maybe. That would be a hell of a test drive :D
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

All good questions

Postby Larry Drake » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:21 pm

When the weather breaks here in Colorado we will do some more serious testing. Of course the prototype is just that, a test bed. Many of the things we have learned on the prototype will be implemented in the first beta versions to be manufactured. I am sure we will find more modifications needed after the first batch hits he highways and byways. I am certainly open to suggestions and constructive input.

(Concerning the gird strap; carry a spare. It is easily replaced.)
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby deepmud » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 pm

I've gotten all I can get from CAD drawings and one pic - I'd love to see some pics of your prototype, how it looks on the trailer, what it looks like packed to go - but I understand if the prototype isn't photogenic enough to release in detail yet. Pretty much it seems like the next step is some units on the road.

It occurs to me that this kit does one thing nothing else does - it ships. I can't think of how to tow it when I get "there" but the idea appeals to me - show up,buy a trailer, hit the road. Whenever I think about traveling, the first step of 2000 miles of AlCan always eat up precious vacation time, and that just gets me to Seattle.
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Unfinished pics

Postby Larry Drake » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:49 pm

Deep Mud,
Here are a few photos of the prototype before it was finished. Note that there are no windows installed and tie down rings are missing from the center panels. At least you can get an idea of how it looks on a 4'x8' trailer. Inside dimensions are 5' x 8.5'.

You can also view the assembly and interior videos on the website if you haven't already done so.
Image Image Image
Last edited by Larry Drake on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ageless » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Having grandkids; could this modular be expanded to a longer length? I realize the pop-up is limited as for length, but if another length segment was added just for sleeping space?
Strangers on this road we are on; we are not two, we are one - Raymond Douglas Davies
Ageless
Platinum Donating Member

Postby deepmud » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:05 pm

so I see it wasn't ready for your trip :( - I really do hope you found a way.

My wife likes it :D

So think the interior layout is clever. Maybe a awning would be cool - so it could be easy for outside cooking maybe.

Got pics with windows?

Have you been camping yet? :thumbsup:

Erik
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Camper sizes

Postby Larry Drake » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:19 pm

One of the big advantages of the modular camper is that it can be adapted to many utility trailer sizes. By adding panels, it can be made wider and/or longer. Tops will be available for 4x8, 5x8, and 5x10 trailers beds.

I am working on a pop up hard top that will be in modular form also. That way you can just add the appropriate panels when you upgrade to a larger trailer.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:32 am

i like that modular a lot. i also have a chevy hhr. need another tester for it? :D
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Re: Camper sizes

Postby jagular7 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 am

Larry Drake wrote:One of the big advantages of the modular camper is that it can be adapted to many utility trailer sizes. By adding panels, it can be made wider and/or longer. Tops will be available for 4x8, 5x8, and 5x10 trailers beds.

I am working on a pop up hard top that will be in modular form also. That way you can just add the appropriate panels when you upgrade to a larger trailer.

Wider?

For the soft side of the canvas top, add zippers. ie Jeep Wrangler, for the additional/removal of sections.
The top itself could have a pull and lock latch mechanism which pulls the 2 sections together for a seal, then locks to keep them from separating.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Teal Camper hits the road

Postby Larry Drake » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:50 pm

The Teal Camper trailers behind my little HHR like a dream. I hardly even know its there. Today I traveled some washboard gravel roads. Not a single complaint. It was stable and light. It stayed solid on the utility trailer (no loosened tie-downs). Everything was firm and secure, even after bouncing across hill and dale, ruts and bumps.
:thumbsup:
Flatiron Reservoir Campground (low res image from phone camera)
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:31 am

do you have pics of the inside? bed or kichenette/storage? room for port a potty?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs