Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby schaney » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:32 pm

Mark & I discussed this off-line, here is the short version of my response.
"I agree a nice fiberglass hardtop for the M100/M416 trailer has commercial potential. The one possible barrier is the high cost of crating and shipping items this size. Part of my envisioned model lineup for the fiberglass bolt-together trailers is a M100/M416 replacement tub and evaluating a hardtop for it is part of the plan. Once I get the initial Jeep tub kits stabilized and shipping, I'll do some market research to determine which model makes the most sense to pursue next. Best case on this would be late Summer '12."
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Please update us with new developments as they come along. I'm fascinated by this approach to an OR trailer, I might have to talk the wife into another trailer.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:32 am

Bruce, as the project progresses, I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

You can never have to many trailers :D
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Dinoot Trailers are coming!

Postby schaney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:48 pm

It's official, the first model, the "Compact" is on it's way to release. I'm calling them Dinoot Trailers. Here is the current timetable for making the "Compact" tub kits available:

Feb – Get molds made and work out molding process details
March / April – Produce a pre-production run of tub kits for pre-release testing and creating documentation. I plan on offering a few kits to “customer testerâ€
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Great news! Love the trailer, hate the name.

:thumbsup:

Bruce

P.S. I wondered if it was you that would be the mysterious distributor they mentioned over at the other forum.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Thanks Bruce ... if you figure out the acronym, maybe you'll warm up to the name :thinking:
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:38 am

Do It Now Or Over Time?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 am

You can spread the cost out by building in stages. Start by getting your basic frame and tub kit together, then get out camping. Next stage could be to add a tailgate, but initially let it just hang down, then add the cable kit later. Another next step could be a tonneau cover instead of blue tarping it. Maybe a set of racks, going Tent Topped or ??

If you can afford to build your ideal trailer all at once, great. If you are like most of use on a budget, they are easily built to a usable state so you can start enjoying now and upgrade over time.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:52 am

Here is a comparsion of the first three models planned for release.
The Mirco is designed for a 40x48 HF frame, it will work nicely for motorcycles, ATVs, & 2-seater sized cars.
The Compact & Extended are designed for modified 4x8 HF frames, they will have many applications. The Extended has a couple of planned camper configurations, more on that shortly.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby adam25 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:39 pm

Scott,
I've seen the hardsided camper idea for the trailer on expo. I was wondering if you had planned on a tent top for the full size trailer. Maybe something similar to the old Apache campers?

If you made it to fit 5x7/5x7.5" Dinoot trailer it could be another step up as people continue adding on the the trailer. The bed slides into a metal cuff that attaches to the trailer and all the poles would be connected to the cap too. That way people could still take the whole tent top off and use the trailer as a utility trailer if they need. Also the added bonus, if the Dinoot trailer does't fit their needs, they could purchase the top to attach to their own base of the same size
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Besides using a folding tent unit, I have two types of tent campers planned for the Extended model. Both will use a hard cover I have planned. In the first one, the cover will lift up on the tailgate end and the tent will hang down from the cover. In the second one, the cover will fold over to form to bed with a tent over the bed and trailer. I'll have to think about a fold over verse silde over bed configuration. Here is a rough sketch:

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby adam25 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:46 pm

The fold-over option would probably be easier than a slide out and easier to acquire the necessary hardware. Only thing I would want to change on the fold over design is the tailgate, but the buyer can purchase the necessary hardware to change the tailgate from drop down to swing out on their own

Really looking forward to seeing your progress. I think this would fill the gap between the explorer box/roof top tent and regular pop-ups. Some of the smaller tent trailers, motorcycle campers I've seen seem either too small or too expensive for what you are getting.
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Postby schaney » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm

We are making good progress on the Dinoot project. Currently working on making the molds, with a target of 3/1-2 for pulling the first parts.

I've recently created a Models page with specs and planned future models information, check it out at Dinoot Models Page

Here are a few pictures of the Dinoot prototype trailer with a recently added Safari style tent unit. It shows mounting the tent unit in a front and side opening configuration.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Here is a configuration example, a Tent Topped Compact tub version with a front rack for two bike.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:26 am

Dinoot Progress Update 03/18/12

First, the bad news. Our progress is at a slower pace than expected to complete the part molds. We are about three weeks behind in pulling pre-production tester parts.

The good news; because our mold maker, an expert at producing fiberglass street rod and race car bodies, is doing extra work, we believe pre-production part verification will be expedited.

We are still on track for a May release of the Dinoot tub kit!

If you have not had a chance, check out the Building One section. There you will find what is included in the Dinoot kits, a overview of building Dinoot floors and a section on configuration / outfitting ideas. When new build info is completed it will be added here.

We are very close and I am very excited to get Dinoot #1 built! Here is the frame almost finished and waiting in my shop.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs