New Modular Kit Camper Design

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Interior pics

Postby Larry Drake » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:41 pm

There are some interior pictures on our website. More will becoming soon. A couple of floor plans have been added to the website as well. http://www.tealinternational.com/TealCamper/floorplans.html
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:04 pm

thanks.

i really like that.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby deepmud » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 pm

wow a shower!
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby High Desert » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 pm

Larry, you've come up with a very inovative creation. Best of luck with it :thumbsup:

One question that came to mind; have you tested the main strap when it's really wet? From my experience many (even higher quality ones) will stretch some when soaked, then dry and tighten later. Just wondering.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Wet Strap

Postby Larry Drake » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I haven't soaked the strap and dried it out to see if it stretches or shrinks. We know if there is any stretching and shrinking it isn't the material because it is synthetic. If it does occur, it may be due to the lubricating properties of water in the weave. I have not heard any of my trucker friends talk about loosening straps due to water.

Even if that should occur, a quick tug on the ratchet and all is tight again. A slightly loose gird strap is not a problem.

Thanks for the input.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby b.bodemer » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:36 am

Larry,
All the best....this is certainly a cool concept. I like all the options too.
Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Gird strap concerns

Postby jooz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:40 am

Larry Drake wrote:
As far as concerns about someone cutting the strap, it is cinched tight against the panels and it would be difficult to get a knife blade under the strap. Cutting a 2 inch cargo strap is not an easy task. Even with a sharp knife and a loose strap it takes a lot of hacking and sawing. Of course a person with a sharp knife could also slash your tires, break a window, scratch your car or jimmy your lock. :twisted:

It's really hard to cut a 2 inch cargo strap even if its too sharp knife used in cutting?
jooz
Teardrop Inspector

Cargo strap

Postby Larry Drake » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:09 pm

OK, I sharpened up my hunting knife, put a loop of 2" cargo strap in the vise and cut through it fairly easily. Yes, the gird strap "cargo strap" can be cut, windows can be broken, doors can be pried open, tires slashed, etc. etc.

The cargo strap is only one of several fasteners that hold the panels together. They are also bolted at the top, keyed at the middle, and fit into a channel at the bottom. The cargo strap cinches it all together to compress the seals and make it weather tight.

Did I mention the Teal Camper makes a great lightweight pickup camper as well.

Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:46 pm

well i really like it, and i'm still waiting for you to announce that you need more testers. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Creamcracker » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 pm

Great concept...looking forward to seeing more examples
Philip
Image Image
3rd Annual Out of Control Shop Winner :)
Creamcracker
Teardrop Graduate

Dimensions?

Postby Laeka » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I've got to agree with everyone else, looks like a really cool concept. Do we have an interior height with the top up and down? Thanks and best of luck with it all!!
Laeka
Teardrop Inspector

Postby H-Balm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 am

Interesting work.
H-Balm
Teardrop Master

Teal Camper interior

Postby Larry Drake » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:35 pm

The interior of the prototype is not what the production units will have. We built it with traditional materials to get a feel for size, configuration and utility. The production units will have very lightweight modules that are collapsable.

I will post some interior shots of the prototype once we have modules that are closer to production units. In the mean time, you can get some idea of the interior of the 4'x8' floor plan (5' x 8.5' inside) from the assembly video on our website. http://www.tealcamper.com
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby halfpastsix » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:43 pm

Brilliant! I think everyone is getting a bit sidetracked by this whole strap thingy. You have to remember that this thing is designed to be put together, used, and then dismantled again when you're back from your trip. If you were going to leave it on the trailer to make something more permanent then I'm sure there would be a way of joining the sections together without the need for the strap.
halfpastsix
Teardrop Builder

Postby FlyerSkip » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:14 pm

I think it's very cool 8) . And the whole thing about the strap being cut is off the mark. Sure it can, but then a lot of things can be tampered with on anything. It's neat that you can put it in a truck or on a trailer. Really opens up more uses for it. The only thing I see wrong is that I can't build one myself so you loose the personal touch. Great ideal though. :D good luck.
A one legged duck swims in a circle.
FlyerSkip
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs