New Modular Kit Camper Design

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby lewcrippen12 » Tue May 11, 2010 5:36 am

HI guys,

Design is really nice.I love it.

Thanks

Regards
Lew Crippen

Adding a Basement Bathroom
lewcrippen12
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mwatters » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

That's pretty cool!

Random thoughts:

Strap - no big deal. Wouldn't worry me more than tie down straps etc as others have pointed out.

I didn't see - are the panels plastic or fiberglass? If they are fiberglass, it gives the builder the option of glassing the panels together permanently for extra rigidity and sealing. The modularity is still a feature for inexpensive construction and shipping - so I still see that as a big plus! I could even see the utility of hardening the outer shell and keeping the interior modular.

Pop-top roof - I'd definitely switch to a hard roof. I don't have any strong feelings about the sides of the pop top though. Canvas, hard panels both have their strong points. Heck - could even do it in screen material and think of it as the world's biggest ceiling vent! :)

I would also recommend having an additional widening panel available. Speaking for myself - I'm 6' tall and beds under 80" head-to-toe are fairly uncomfortable at best. The other advantage is that 80" also allows the user to use standard home mattresses should they choose.

Another suggestion would be to look into possible dual dinette floorplans that allowed a permanent bed along with a 2 person dinette. That is a very popular configuration among the fiberglass RV crowd for obvious reasons.

I suppose if I were to lay out a preferred arrangement it would be: permanent 80"x60" bed, two person dinette (possibly against the wall), privacy room (for portapotty) plus convenient storage and counter space.
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby KBS » Fri May 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Question for Larry:

As you tighten the gird strap, what prevents the rear panel from distorting, i.e. getting wider in the middle or bottom. It seems the strap would try to pull the rear panel apart.
Karl Stevens
KBS
Teardrop Advisor

How much

Postby Bubba the Hut » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:07 pm

Hey all. I was wondering how much the modules cost ... or perhaps a projected cost. To compare between the materials cost of building a TT.

BTW this site has gotten my creative juices flowing. I like the concept of a small trailer, dont know if I will like it in RL, and currently have a popup. The popup takes time and effort to setup and still doesnt have a 6'3" standing room.
Bubba the Hut
Teardrop Inspector

Only Camper models???

Postby hoppinglark » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:52 pm

I really like your modular forward thinking.
But are you going to limit yourself to only camper models?
Why not a concessions stand for small business owners/fundraisers!

All you would need is 1) deep-fryer module, 2) a long counter module (for the cotton candy, popcorn, or snow cone machines) , and 3)double wide module with an extra large window.

So a buyer could own

1) Their original flat bed utility trailer
2) new camper
3) concessions stand

all with one trailer!
"There is no red carpet between you and your goal!"- Gilad Janklowicz
hoppinglark
Teardrop Inspector

Answering some questions

Postby Larry Drake » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:45 am

I really appreciate the enthusiasm generated by the Teal Camper design. Great input. We have taken all this input, plus data from our testing, and suggestions from the various suppliers.

1. The gird belt cinches the panels together, squeezing the weather tight seal. It does not deform the end panel in any way. In fact, the camper becomes very solid. The panels are also bolted together at the top, center and bottom. Only a screwdriver is required to assemble them.

2. The modules lend themselves nicely to custom modification. A person could simply purchase the shell (walls, door assembly, roof) and build in whatever configuration they like.

3. The production version will have a hard pop-up roof with canvas skirts (side walls) that include screened windows.

4. The panels are molded polyethylene plastic with foam cores. This makes them very light and very strong.

5. There have been a lot of ideas for using the Teal Camper as other than a pull behind trailer, for instance, a house for ice fishing, an emergency shelter that can be towed up the ski slopes, a shelter that can be lowered into the forest by helicopter, making a large square with multiple panels with a tent roof and so on. Not to mention the toy hauler, tool trailer and animal shelter applications.

I will be posting some pictures of the interior and some of our camping adventures with the prototype on our website, probably next week. We are really enjoying the camper.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Production getting closer

Postby Larry Drake » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:20 am

Looks like we will be getting our first parts from the molds sometime in September. The production model will have an insulated pop-up hard top with canvas sides.

There are more pictures and a few sample estimated prices now on our website at http://www.tealcamper.com www.tealcamper.com.

We are really enjoying the prototype this summer. It gets noticed everywhere we go. It camps great and pulls easily.

Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Very nice!

The limit of a 5'10" bed takes me out of the market, though. I need at least 78" of bed length, 80" would be preferred.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby glassice » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:49 pm

What type of molding you doing ? What Country are you doing it in from what I seen Vietnam is beating china on the cost but it would be very interesting to see the cost with tax breaks by have them molded in Afghanistan
It is not the return ON my investment that I am concerned about; it is the return OF my investment
glassice
Silver Donating Member

Postby Vindi_andy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:47 am

A 5'10 bed takes me right out of it. im' 6'4 hence going for a 10' tear.
Boys never grow in to men the toys just get more expensive and more dangerous

How true :)
Vindi_andy
Teardrop Master

Bed length clarification

Postby Larry Drake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:04 am

Looks like we need some clarification here. :thinking: There are two ways to set up the bed in the Teal Camper; crosswise or lengthwise. If the 5'-10" length crosswise is too short, simply use the table extension and sleep lengthwise.

The lengthwise bed in my 4'x8' prototype is 5' wide by 6'-2" long (queen size). The bed in the 5' wide production model could be 5' - 10" wide by 6'-4" long (king size). You could even make it longer if you wish.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:08 am

I don't want to be contrary here, but at 6'4, I studied bed dimensions when I built my teardrop...

Twin: 39" x 75" (6'3" long)

Double: 54" x 75" (6'3" long)

Queen: 60" x 80" (6'8" long)

King: 76" x 80" (6'8" long)

California King: 72" x 84" (7' long)

Most of us over 5'10" tall are very concerned about bed length.
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Bed size

Postby Larry Drake » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks for the standard bed size dimensions. I guess I should have said approximately "king size".

If you set up the bed lengthwise it is possible to customize the length to fit your tall stature. The compromise is that you give up some floor space for standing room while the bed is set up (something you can't do in a teardrop anyway). In a 10' long Teal camper, the compromise isn't too big of a deal.

Of course the ceiling height with the top popped up is 6' -2" so you wouldn't be able to stand fully erect either. It is pretty hard to design a small camper that is "one size fits all", but I think the Teal camper comes pretty close.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Getting close to production

Postby Larry Drake » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:00 pm

The Teal Camper is getting close to production. We are finalizing the production parts and are planning on producing the first complete campers in January. We are also now taking pre-production orders. Check on our progress at TealCamper.com

Image Image
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wimperdink » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:29 am

I believe I like it. It definitely fills a niche market. I can see them becoming popular with folks that have a utility that can double as a camper. Or can take apart and store somewhere.... Would be good as a temporary storage solution too. Price is higher than I'd like to see for moulded plastic but thats just my current budget restrictions talking. I can see others paying that for it. Its cool and I want one.... but.... I'll have to wait until someone gets tired of theirs and wants to unload it cheap.

:oops:
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs