3 1/3 X 4 chassis: How tall can I make my trailer?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

3 1/3 X 4 chassis: How tall can I make my trailer?

Postby Back_Quack » Sat Oct 09, 2004 8:26 pm

Hi, I would first like to thank everyone for the useful info I have read during the past week since I've discovered this site. You've really got me brainstorming. For my first experiment, I would like to make a square tailgating trailer which would basically store and organize all of my supplies: a grill, cooler, etc. (no bed) on a 3 1/3' wide by 4' long chassis (anything larger and I would be charged for an extra parking spot). The trailer is this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=42708

Anyway, given it's small dimensions, I was wondering how high I could build the trailer without the chance of it being unstable and tipping over on the highway? What do you all think? Thanks for your help.

Steve
Back_Quack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:00 am

Here's a site that used the trailer your talking about.

http://www.minicampingtrailer.com/

Also if you check with Mother Earth news your'll find plans for a kitchen trailer like your planning.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:05 am

The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Back_Quack » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:07 am

Wow, they are exactly what I was thinking, especially the minitrailer. Thanks guys, this will be a good start. Guess I should get to the design stage of the project now.
Back_Quack
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:42 am

I hate to go all technical on you, but what you need to be (slightly) concerned about is how high the centre of gravity of the trailer is, rather than how high the bodywork is.

Keep heavy weights low and you won't have a problem, even if the bodywork goes up several feet. But put a loaded (ie, heavy) cooler two or three feet above the deck and you're asking for trouble.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs