ideas to build the most inexpensive camper! ideas? for fun!

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby ssrjim » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:26 pm

ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: cap it

Postby moreforles » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:08 am

moreforles wrote:cheaper yet.... pop up frame, good tent on it..... cover with large tarp for transport and when in use for shade.....

another option small utility trailer for storage, to posts, one in front one in the rear and purchase a Hennessy Hammock, set it up over storage area, with tarp over it for shade and rain protection..... while not a traditional camper, it would be light years ahead of tent camping on the ground.........
moreforles
Teardrop Master

Cheepie builds

Postby sitnievasnie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:47 am

Hi (All da way from SA) 8)

Well done! :thumbsup:

I's bin thinkin along these lines for a long time...........git's ya off the ground...

I know I've been away a long time, (pre Obama) but I aint dead yet, an I got me a rollin' platform for 400 S.A RANDS wazzat over da water? 33 bucks???

I'll take some photos over the weekend

watch this space,

Regards
Warren

PS My son says I'm more stingy than a "please call me" :lol:
Be gentle
sitnievasnie
Teardrop Builder

Cheap trailer

Postby Prem » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 am

I bought a 1950's Shasta for $25 last September. Does that count?

Truth be told, I tore it down to the chassis ba'cuz it was all dry-rotted out.

I get "cover sheets" of two-ply Luan from a local hardwood plywood outlet for free. So I'm contemplating skinning my upcoming build with it (probably two layers Gorilla glued over light framing. I like epoxy and fiberglass for wooden boat building and tear drop trailer building, but it's labor intensive, expensive and Bondo won't stick to epoxy (for long). Epoxy only likes hot, dry weather for hardening. Polyester resin delaminates from wood eventually, but not epoxy.

I was thinking about using exterior carpet glue to stick silver tarp material to my cover sheets, wipe it with acetone and brown synthetic steel wool then roll it with exterior acrylic latex house paint.

Whadda ya think? :thumbdown: :thumbsup:
My goal...

Gold Donating Member

Re: Cheepie builds

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 pm

sitnievasnie wrote:Hi (All da way from SA) 8)

Well done! :thumbsup:

I's bin thinkin along these lines for a long time...........git's ya off the ground...

I know I've been away a long time, (pre Obama) but I aint dead yet, an I got me a rollin' platform for 400 S.A RANDS wazzat over da water? 33 bucks???

I'll take some photos over the weekend

watch this space,

Regards
Warren

PS My son says I'm more stingy than a "please call me" :lol:

Welcome back. Thought you might have fed a lion or something. 8) Bet the $33 will be less pretty soon. Darn exchange rate must be dropping like a rock.

So what ya gonna put on this rollin platform? A swimming pool would be nice there huh. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rowerwet » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:00 am

old pickup truck cap on a plywood (or cheaper) and wood frame box. you can get them for free or cheap on craigslist. fiberglass would be better for noise and strength, of course it would be heavier.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Visionquest » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:15 am

Here's something I just found doing a search and would have to do some more research but. These are Crop Care tanks that measure 96" long x 48" wide x 50" tall and come strapped to a plastic pallet that looks like it would bolt right to a 4'x8' trailer. Not sure how to add doors or windows, etc. Here's the link:
http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=1380
Visionquest
Teardrop Inspector

Re: ideas to build the most inexpensive camper! ideas? for f

Postby Larry C » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:10 am

ryncole wrote:Hi. We've been campers for years. :thumbsup: We have a 27' tt loaded slide, etc. Now, I really enjoy this forum, and all of you camper guys/gals out there, picture this: The cheapest,(safe of course) hardside mini camper. Now, how about suggestions? Build it cheaply with basic materials(maybe pole shed siding? . I'd like to build a quick camper(wife thinks i'm nuts) that would sit on a utility trailer. But my objective would be to make it as absolutely inexpensive as can be. Just because it would be a fun challenge, not that i have to. What do you think,any designs out there that could be simplified, and cost cutted? thanks, have fun!

How about Andrew's Pico Light, less the chassis. Use door skin ply (or Luan) and firing strips (or rip strips from 2-by lumber), tape and fillet the seams with FG tape/epoxy. The whole unit could be dropped onto the utility trailer.
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear58.htm

Larry
"If its worth doing it's worth doing Light"

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=35852
Larry C
500 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs