Need GrassHopper Info

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Need GrassHopper Info

Postby DLucas » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:34 pm

Hi There,
I'm new to the board, and also new to tiny trailers! I'm looking for any and all info on the grasshopper style trailers. I really like the design and plan to build one this summer if at all possible. Thanks in advance!
DLucas
DLucas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:45 pm

What do you want to know about it DLucas? I have posted most of the pic's I have of the original ones. I've posted the pic's of my mini-grasshopper. Which one are you looking to build?

I have a pic of the frame of the original and other pic's of the width and height.

Let me know.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby DLucas » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi Again,
Well, as of right now I'm still in the planning stages, but I'm thinking of something maybe 4'wx4'hx10'l, but that could change. I like the idea of 10' long, but since most ply's come in 8' that would seem to be the way to go.
As for shape, I like the grasshopper shape better then the teardrop. The curves of the tear are nice, but I really like the strigther lines of the grasshopper.
It will have only one door w/window, on the curb side, one or two windows on the other side, and I'm leaning towards a window in the front, with tall cloths closets on each side of that window inside, with a shelf between under that window. And it will have cabnets at the foot of the bed.
As for the back hatchs, one will lift up to access the kitchen area, counter, w/sink and stove area, with darwers and cabnets underneth, and another below that to access storage. Add a roof vent or roof skylight/vent, and that should round(opps. thats a teardrop term), it out!
Not sure of the outside skin yet, still looking into different options.
Oh, and throw in a 12v electric system run off a deep cell battery.
So, as you can see, I have alot of ideas, but can always use more!
Thanks again!
DLucas
DLucas
Teardrop Inspector

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:04 pm

Sounds like your own the right track DLucas.

Somewhere Mike has the drawings he did up for me on the grasshopper I built. It's for a harbor freight trailer. But any trailer would do.

If I do it over again. I'd square the back off. Not have it sloped. That way you could have the hatch go up and place a tent on 3 sides and have a second room.

First I'd get the drawings Mike did and then print them on two pages. Widnows will allow you to do this as a poster. Next make square on the paper to form a grid. 1"=6" transfer this grid to a template. I didn't do that and that's why mine doesn't look quite like a grasshopper.

Thats about it.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:14 pm

Hi DLucas,

How are your plans coming along for your grasshopper look alike? Did you ever check out my wild designs album on the web? I have some profiles there that might give you some ideas.

http://www.mikenchell.com/teardrop/wild ... index.html

Mike...

DLucas wrote:Hi Again,
Well, as of right now I'm still in the planning stages, but I'm thinking of something maybe 4'wx4'hx10'l, but that could change. I like the idea of 10' long, but since most ply's come in 8' that would seem to be the way to go.
As for shape, I like the grasshopper shape better then the teardrop. The curves of the tear are nice, but I really like the strigther lines of the grasshopper.
DLucas
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DLucas » Sat May 01, 2004 11:16 am

Hi Mike,
Yes I did find them, thanks. Matter ta fact, thats where I first noticed the grasshopper and fell in love with it! Believe me, I've been looking at those pics every chance I get. :^) Thanks for taking the time to post them on-line.
I haven't had much chance to work on anything other then yard work the last few days, but at least thats givin me plenty of time to think of new ideas for the trailer!
I was able to get away today and went by(didn't have time to stop), an RV place thats not to far from home, and noticed that they had two teardrops setting outside with all the other monsters! I'll try and get back there in the next few days and check them out much closer!!
I also need to run by a few places and check out trailer chassies and see whats in the area.
I'll keep ya updated on what I find!
DLucas
DLucas
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs