Hard top Soft top

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Hard top Soft top

Postby Ron Dickey » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:03 pm

for one who wants the convertabel hardtop you might make the upper part of this one ontop of your grasshopper

http://www.intouchmail.net/~fmattox/trailer/photos.html

or even a tear.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:11 pm

That's interesting...

But somehow, I think I'd rather build a box that is ready to crawl into, rather that be forced to unfold, unfold again, and then have to go through the whole rigamarole of setting up a tent.

I've said this before, and will say it again... I really like being able to just back into a campsite, drop the stabilizers, and crawl in for the night... no fuss, no mess!!!

Next morning I pull the stabilizers up and I'm on my way!!! 8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Ron Dickey » Sat Dec 04, 2004 12:29 am

Mike,

I totally agree with you. But lets say you are staying for a weekend or a week. you want to just relax take a lot of R and R.

We all react to it in different ways to tight places where one can only sleep you could have a higher tent out side and less weight to your trailer.

But for those who sleep in warm to hot summers and need to stand to dress this might be an answer in bad cold weather to sleep inside .... and warm nice weather to have the top of the trailer open out upward and give you a place to sleep in a tent that for the most part is simple to put up and take down .... you have been driving and can sleep inside friday night but sat and sunday you want to nap in the day enjoy the sun. Or have a place for 2 extra people to sleep .... you can stand and stretch in the morning.

Or you could made a camper for the truck or have one on top of the car it offers several possabilities

Mosly to show what is out there

I like to keep an open mind ..... which could cload my direction ... with out the wine. :roll:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Larry Messaros » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:52 am

Ron, That's a neat trailer. If someone is very limited to size and weight, I think it would work quite nicely. There have been some really interesting fold up type trailers that when you flip the top over, the tent pops up. It's great to see all sorts of different ideas.

I do agree with Mike, I much prefer to just pull in somewhere and have most of it setup already. But, with some of the small cars now, I can see a little niche market for trailers like that.

PS Ron, now you went and mentioned that drink again.
:lol:
Larry Messaros
:snow
Cariboo Country: If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes!
Larry Messaros
Platinum Donating Member

Postby David Grason » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:48 am

I like it! It looks like a suitcase on wheels. It would be fun to cover it in some material that actually did make it look like a piece of Samsonite or something.
I am NOT a complete idiot! Some of the pieces are missing.
David Grason
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:25 am

Larry Messaros wrote:PS Ron, now you went and mentioned that drink again.
:lol:

Yum yum!!! :wine:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Hard top Soft top

Postby angib » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:33 am

Ron Dickey wrote:for one who wants the convertabel hardtop you might make the upper part of this one ontop of your grasshopper

http://www.intouchmail.net/~fmattox/trailer/photos.html

or even a tear.

And if you really wanted to build one of these, I have the drawings for this very trailer on my site as Motorcycle Camper. As you can tell, Frank built it to tow behind his motorcycle.

And thank you Ron, I'd forgotten that one of my promises was to produce a 'Europeanised' version of this design (it needs to be trimmed by an inch here and there to fit within the European motorcycle trailer rules).

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby catrinka » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:29 pm

We used to have a trailer very similar to this, except that it had 2 fold outs. Bonair made it back in the 80's. It was very light and easy to tow but a lot of work to set up (which my ex never did!) The down side was if it rained, everything was wet when you packed up and there wasn't a dry place to put bedding.
catrinka
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs