TTT using a pickup camper top or bed lid

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

TTT using a pickup camper top or bed lid

Postby poconomtbiker » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:10 pm

I am just trying get some input on trying to build a small tt/tear using a pickup truck cap or lid. The p/u cap most have windows all I would have to do is build up some sides on a trailer and put a door in the rear. What do you think ? Any input or ideas would be helpfull. I am just planning right now. I know that their are many size caps and lids but I would like to keep it at 4x8 or 5x8. Thanks in advance for any input..

Karl..
poconomtbiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:26 pm

Image to the playground. Anything goes these days. Sure you can do that. I saw a topper last month that had a beautiful glass door from the top to the bottom. Couldn't catch him to get a good look.

Good luck and keep us :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: posted. 8)
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby jagular7 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am

I had that type of idea for a camper to be ultra-light weight. I even went to go as far as : fiberglass topper discussion.
Now just recently on ebay Instantopper is available. (Man I really hate the new Eaby layout!!!)

Then I expanded to a slide-on camper idea to utilize a utility flat trailer and small truck slide-in camper.

Lastly, I came up with an ambulance fiberglass box to use as a foundation for a TTT camper.

If you decide to follow through with the truck topper idea, take a look at the Alaskans design. They are basically a topper that rises and lowers on a lower box. This provides great aerodynamics when towing, but also provides other hazards, water sealing against walls, lift mechanisms, etc.

Some other discussions on nearly the topic:
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2697
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby Gerdo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:27 am

I had always thought about a slide in type camper for a pick up. It would built with a TD shape. Either a BenRoy http://www.mikenchell.com/images/GenericBenroyPlans.pdf , or a Cub but with a flat lower front http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear27.htm It could be built so the sleeping bed height would be at the top of the PU bed and below would be storage. You would need a ladder to get into the side door. You could still have a hatch and Galley, you would have to work out the height problem.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby poconomtbiker » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:18 pm

Guys,
Thanks for the Ideas. Mike I never even thought about using a pop-top pick up camper, that is a great idea. Just frame up a utility trailer with some 2x3's or 4's and mount the camper. I dont have a pick up, I have a Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Caravan. I like the aluminum Pickup caps, I think they are 4x8 or 5x8 and very light weight. If anyone has ideas or pix please advise. Thanks again.
Karl..
poconomtbiker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MARVIN THOMPSON » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:56 am

I HAD THAT THOUGHT ABOUT TWO YEARS AGO. I HAVE A VIKING TENT CAMPER AND A FIBERGLASS TOP I BOUGHT AT A AUTION.THEN I STARTED BUILD A TEAR DROP THIS SPRING. I HAVN,T GAVE THE IDEA UP YET.SO WHEN YOU BUILD YOUR POST A PICTURE.I COULDN,T DECIDE HOW HEIGHT TO BUILD IT.
MARVIN THOMPSON
Teardrop Advisor

Postby poconomtbiker » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Marvin,
My plan is to buy a used aluminum truck cap that is about 4x8, build 3 foot sides on a 4x8 utility traler to have about 5 foot total height from floor to roof. I would like to have the door in the rear and build a dinette that converts to a 4x6 bed. The extra 2 feet of interior space will have a porta pottie on one side and cooler on other. I plan to leave the rear flip gate door on the cap and just build a center door about 2 feet wide this way when you lift the flip gate you would just open the center door to go in the camper. Any other ideas would help. Thanks.
Karl.
poconomtbiker
Teardrop Inspector

Re: TTT using a pickup camper top or bed lid

Postby conn.rod » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 pm

old thread but a good how to link
conn.rod
Teardrop Builder

Re: TTT using a pickup camper top or bed lid

Postby pjo129 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:23 pm

Pete Olson
Newburgh, IN