Mini-Hopper

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Mini-Hopper

Postby angib » Sun May 09, 2004 4:40 pm

I've added a Mini-Grasshopper design to my site. This is based very closely on Buford's original but with a complete lift-up rear hatch, as per Buford's suggestion.

Angib Site

Buford, how did you deal with the joints between roof panels? It seems easy (because of the angles involved) for these to add enough work to completely throw away the benefit of using flat panels!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Mini-Hopper

Postby BufordT » Tue May 11, 2004 7:30 pm

angib wrote:I've added a Mini-Grasshopper design to my site. This is based very closely on Buford's original but with a complete lift-up rear hatch, as per Buford's suggestion.

Angib Site

Buford, how did you deal with the joints between roof panels? It seems easy (because of the angles involved) for these to add enough work to completely throw away the benefit of using flat panels!

Andrew

Andrew,

You do me great honor placing the mini-hopper design on your web site. Thank you. Mike took the original grasshopper and modified it to fit a harbor freight trailer. I did Mike a dishonor by not following his drawing. By mistake I left some of the angles after it was cut.

I used 3/4" plywood along the top and the sides. Used 1/4's to attach the plywood to at the top and the sides to keep the plywood from splitting.

This design is easy to work with but you can't just wrap a skin over it. Any type of skin you use will have to be cut. Us anglle to cover the cuts and lots of water sealer.

Again. Thanks

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue May 11, 2004 8:22 pm

Well I wouldn't call it a dis-honor... Call it customized!!!

Anyways, after seeing your mini hopper I realized that you don't want to wrap a skin around it. Sharp corners make for very quick and easy building. Especially if you don't want to insulate it. Just use 3/4" plywood, and paint. You could almost build it in a weekend. :)

Painting it with camo would take a little longer!!! :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs