CCC Explorer Box

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

CCC Explorer Box

Postby schaney » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 pm

* Update: here is a pointer to our post on the Explorer Box Construction Manual in the Teardrop Manufacturers section *

As I've been slowly working through the challenges of getting tents manufactured for the "Woody", I shifted my attention for a while to a new trailer design.

I'm calling it an “Explorer Box”. An noted in a previous post, the idea is a rolling camp box, it has a kitchen/galley area with organized storage and counter space on front and a general storage area in the rear. It's a nice blend of compact size and room for all your camping essentials. It's built on a 4' x 6' trailer frame.

I like to use marine grade Okoume for the exterior of trailers. It's light, strong and looks great.

Here is a picture of testing fitting / sizing the shelves for the front and side compartments.

Here is a picture with the compartment doors hung.

A few compartment build pictures.

Here is a picture of the mockup with a tent unit on it.

I'm starting work on the exterior finish later this week.
Last edited by schaney on Sat May 31, 2014 11:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby mb82 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 pm

That looks great. I like the design.
mb82
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tcurr » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:48 pm

I like it, Very nice design.
My Idea of plans are a tape measure, a saw and a dream.

Tom & Brenda
Westerville, Ohio
Tcurr
Silver Donating Member

very cool

Postby Jeeper92 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:52 pm

how are you supporting the tent? what size is on it? this is actually a very cool thing, i saw a bunch of these over on the adventure cmaping site
Jeeper92
500 Club

Postby sseaman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:27 pm

scott, have you ever looked that the website myswag? its a group out of australia that have built many trailer like you have
sseaman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:43 am

sseaman, thanks for the website pointer, had not seen that one yet, looks like some good stuff there.

jeeper92, the tent bolts to the top of the trailer box with four bolts. When closed it's the same size as the box top. When opened it's 94" x 55".

Here is a picture of the mockup for this trailer with the other tent we have on it. At 50 lbs its half the weight of the green tent and uses a trampoline like fabric floor instead of a solid base like the green tent.

Thanks for the positive comments on our new trailer. As some have commented, these are popular with the expedition / off-road crowd. This particular trailer could be built off-road ready, although I focus on lightweight versions aimed at folks driving smaller fuel-efficient vehicles. Using the blue tent below, this trailer setup weighs in at 375 lbs. For light-duty off-road, add a couple of hundred pounds for a beefier frame, bigger tires and thicker plywood. For hardcore off-road like the Rubicon, you would need to do a fair amount of fiberglass tape / epoxy reinforcement to the corner joints.

Check out Explorer Box for more info.
Last edited by schaney on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 am

That Cargo Box is sure a GREAT IDEA!!!! Usefull for a number of everyday purposes too ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:42 am

Yes it does work well as a Cargo Box when used without a tent unit.

You could easily layout the storage compartments to handle all kinds of different gear.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

cargo box

Postby rabs » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:03 pm

schaney, Mate what a great Idea, I love the design and concept of this...would be real handy for an offroad trailer come sleeper...I may have to look at building something like this as a Camp Kitchen for the four wheel drive club i belong to..well done mate and lets see the photo's when finished

Rabs
Happy to be Trailer Trash

There a 3 kinds of people that I don't like in this world, Those that can count and those that can't
rabs
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:39 am

Glad you like it. Still working out a few details, it's almost done.

When I did a weigh in last night, it came in at 343 lbs with the "blue" tent unit. Even when loaded my Subaru will hardly know it's there.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:49 am

Been thinking about a slightly larger cargo box, maybe with a pop-up top of sorts , or just about 36-40" tall inside ... big enough for most to sit upright inside , change clothes...Nice and Simple ... small as humanly practical... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 pm

Hmmm, what if you make the box 30-36" tall, have the tailgate fold down horizontal. Then have a very basic tent that covers the tailgate area, you could easily have 4'+ of headroom at the end. Also raise the front and side storage compartments so your feet can slide under them. You could keep the same basic foot print that an Explorer Box has.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:37 pm

Here's something like we've had in mind ... been needing a utility trailer for awhile ... would be nice to be able to sleep in it too.. That idea of the inside cabinet/storage is really great ... then you could access it from the front or inside ...splitting the height would give you almost 18" of foot room , even big enough for my clodhoppers...12" deep cabinet could store a whole bunch of stuff.
You could even hinge the top in the front and tilt the whole top up with an attached tent to make even more headroom ... so many options

GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mike C. » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Scott,

An interesting and cool design. 8)

I really like the amount of storage. :thumbsup:
Uncle M ( Mike )
Mike C.
our Uncle M

Postby schaney » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:57 pm

Thanks Mike ...

GPW,
That looks like it would work out nicely. Like the idea of a multiple purpose trailer, put the box on for camping or take it off hauling stuff to the dump.

I like the idea of hinging the top. If you have it lift up about 3' it can act as the support for a basic tent draped over it and you could almost stand up in it. Or if you don't hinge the roof, it might be possible to put something like a Enel Adventure-1 Truck tent on it and have a upper and lower level sleeping area, be great for kids.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs