Free Plans for a TTT - Compact 3

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Free Plans for a TTT - Compact 3

Postby angib » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:13 pm

I've been working on this,on and off, for the best part of a year and I'm somewhere near done, so I thought I'd post what I've got as an incentive to get it all finished.

This trailer is a close copy of the Compact Jr fiberglass trailer from the 1970s and is a semi-standy - you can stand up in it after you've raised the lifting roof. It's 10ft long in the body and here it is with the all-solid (no fabric) insulated lifting roof down and up:

And here's a photo from the the original's brochure, showing it being towed by a Datsun 510 - I guess no-one would think that to be safe today:

I aim to provide a complete set of free plans with pretty much everything needed to build one - at present the plans to make all the parts of the trailer are available, but I will sometime be adding weight information, a material list, some final assembly drawings/instructions and a description for each of the current sets of plans.

I'm doing this so far just as a sets of multi-page PDF files to print on Letter paper - there isn't a CAD file available to download though if anyone really wants the 20-layer 1Mb CAD model the plans come from, they'll be welcome to have it emailed to them.

Have a look and see if you're interested - if so, start bugging me to finish them.....

Compact 3 TTT Plans

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:32 pm

Hey Andrew...

That's good. I'd like to see the huge cad file you have on that. Can you email me that.

The floorplan is like that of the WW. :o

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby b.bodemer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:49 pm

WOW.........cool TTT. Thanks for making those plans available..................... :applause: :applause: :applause:

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mwatters » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:46 pm

I would offer one modest suggestion:

For the lifting roof: If the end panel was the one that lifted first (instead of the side panels), you could have it engage a track on the roof itself. This would help hold the roof down - but would also let the end panel act as the lifting mechanism for the roof. It's the same approach used in my Esterel (a hard sided pop-up caravan).

mkw
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:13 pm

Mike, I tend to agree with you - but there's a reason I have designed it this way round, as I would prefer to do it the way you've suggested.

If you push up the rear panel first, you're trying to do so through the gap between the two side panels and that is very narrow at the back. There are some other detail reasons, but that's the main one. If the lifting section width is greater on your Esterel, this wouldn't be a problem, but I wanted to keep the lifting roof to 4ft wide.

Oh, and one more reason - I've designed it this way round so far and it's lots and lots of work to change it. :(

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:18 pm

That's strike 1 against solid modeling. You used to be so quick at changing things... :cry:

angib wrote:I've designed it this way round so far and it's lots and lots of work to change it. :(
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby jagular7 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:29 am

This is so cool. Thanks.

I've been weighing the same idea for a straight up/down pop-top or an angled one like your design.

I've got that fiberglass ambulance box that is 10' and 69" wide. Its a little over 68" tall inside measurement. But due to the wedge floor design, I'll be lowering it onto a square taper base. Lowering will help with the wind drag behind the Wrangler. But then I would need a pop-top for a 'standy'. I have been looking at small pickup bed tonneau covers. Used prices are in the $150 area and I could probably get one a little cheaper. These are about 60" width overall for the small pickup and are 1-piece fiberglass. They would come with a seal already so leakage with be minimized as well as gas struts to help with lifting. Adding the sides I am weighing, either canvas or something else. Canvas, I was looking at military tent shelters. These would already be treat for mildew. For hardside, I was looking at home vinyl siding as it would be a 1-piece 4x8 sheet. I would like the sides to match the lower base area.

Edit: You may want to add accessibility through the interior and exterior to those floor storage areas under the benches and even cabinets. I had planned to layout access with the kitchen cabinet on the curb side so if I would need anything I wouldn't have to go back in. I also plan to have a protective top swing up from the siding as well as have a table come from underneath the floor in a flat basement area (4" of the floor). The top would be for authentics more than protection but would hold a light and be gas strut supported and a canvas weather protector could be added due to weather conditions, or I would cook inside. The table would be attached to the side through a hook bracket.
Mike
Jagular
Lenexa, KS
jagular7
The 300 Club

Postby bgordon » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:29 am

Andrew,

This is simply brilliant! Thanks for helping the TTT community with plans like these!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :applause: :applause:
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:27 pm

Mike has kindly done some expert renderings of the Compact CAD model that I've added to the web page. Here's one of the inside:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby ARKPAT » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:21 am

Andrew this is great TTT layout. The movable-roof is the problem I'm tring to solve as I build my fullsize model. The trailer I have started is about the same size. I have been playing with Sketch-up to look at all the angles and joints to seal and protect. :thinking:

You and Mike Keep up the good work maybe I can get a solution to the standy movable roof section. :thumbsup:

Pat

PS: Andrew I'm looking at the lifting section of the roof and the hinged area. I was going to use the raised "saddle area of the CURB" as you did just lower it as a gutter as some hatches are done that are flat....ie roof hatch on a Ferosa or Sporttrac F-300 series sunroof top ;)
Life is to short always eat dessert first.
ARKPAT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Please e-mail that file to me at [email protected]

Postby garp55 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:40 pm

I used to live in Cirencester when I was stationed at RAF Fairford in the 60's married a girl from Ciren back then. Nice trailer thanks Gary Carpenter,
garp55
Teardrop Inspector

Postby woytovich » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:00 am

If anyone is interested I know where there is an original Compact trailer for sale. It in located just north of NYC and would be pretty cheap. It needs to be dragged out of a backyard a ways and then probably trailered as it hasn't on the road in many years.
Mark
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Re: Free Plans for a TTT - Compact 3

Postby gti20vturbo » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:08 pm

This is interesting, I may have to build one of these next. :thumbsup:
I got nothing right now............sorry. :)
gti20vturbo
Teardrop Inspector

Postby freehealer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:37 pm

That is a great idea, I've owned a VW westfalia Vanagon before building my Teardrop and have really missed the poptop. I might have to build one of these in the future. I just looked at the plans and they are very detailed, great work, thanks for posting.
freehealer
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Copperace » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:13 pm

Thanks some more from a newby to sleeper designs. Great information.
Copperace
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs