tent trailer or similar on a goose neck?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

tent trailer or similar on a goose neck?

Postby andyr354 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:37 pm

Anybody here have any ideas?
I am limited on wood working tools, but have plenty of steel equipment. Tubing benders, welders, plasma, torch, ect.. full farm shop.

Hello, just found this place this morning. Very cool... probably gonna cost me :D

I was searching around looking for places to get ideas and some help. I want to build a tent camper unit on the front of a goose neck trailer. I tow my offroad rig on the same 20' low deck car hualer.
example of what I have:
http://www.loadtrail.com/gc16-2.htm
I have the 20' version. The rig I am hauling takes up all but 4' of the front of the deck, so figure I have 3.5' to work with.
Second, it needs to be removable from the trailer for hauling other larger things.

I have a skid steer loader with pallet forks that can easily pick up something and install/remove it.

I saw this design
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=18060
Something similar that had a taller box instead of the trailer frame underneath sparked my interest. I only need to sleep one most of the time, but to be able to put a second person on the floor down below would be ok when needed.

Once again thanks for the reading on the forum!

Andy
North Central KS.
andyr354
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jeep_bluetj » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:04 pm

Didya see the extreme 4x4 episode where they built one?

Exactly what you said, a tent trailer on the goose. You may be able to find the episode on youtube.

They got a "wheeless" tent box from fleetwood, and welded it on. You could very easily do the same thing with a used tent trailer - just cut the tongue off and weld it on the goose.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby andyr354 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:28 pm

Thought of that, but not enough room. Unless it was way up on top of the A frame of the goose? Don't wan't that.. diesel is to expensive for that much wind drag :shock:
andyr354
Teardrop Inspector

Postby andyr354 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Came across this site when reading up. Very simple design made from stuff I can get around here.
http://www.txstewartfamily.com/trailer.htm
I would need to build it with more height and less depth. Sleep crosswise on the trailer.
For dimensions I am thinking 3' or 4' depth, about 83" is as wide as I can go, and height.. well 6' would be nice.

I also found a mid 70s starcraft pop-up for sale local. It has some busted cables and wont pop anymore. The canvas is dried out and unknown condition to me. Guy wants $150 for it as it sets. Is it worth it for parts or try and repair. The roof sealing looks pretty bad to.

Andy
andyr354
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm

Andy, if you are just looking for a comfortable, dry place to sleep, maybe just putting one of our tent units without the trailer box on the goose neck will work :thinking:

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby Wos » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 pm

A friend of mine up here just parks his truck camper at the front of his trailer. The bunk hangs over the gooseneck, He then puts his Toyota 4x4 on the back. He tows it all to the campground near some good trails and pulls the Toyota off to play. This leaves his camper easily accessible and has a nice deck to barbeque on while he plays.
Wos
Teardrop Builder

Postby brian_bp » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 pm

I've seen a few photos of truck campers on gooseneck flatdecks, and even one or two in person. The only problems I see: access to the rear door of the camper (if the load is still on the deck; and, Andy only has less than 4 feet of deck length available (not the 6 to 10 feet needed for truck campers).
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby SuperTroll » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:44 pm

Clamshell Motorcycle shelter...the SOFT SIDE Teardrop.....

Keep thinking outside the box and all manner of ideas will become reality......

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/alb ... Ul?start=0
SuperTroll
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs