Cave Grasshopper:

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Cave Grasshopper:

Postby BufordT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:33 pm

Got the pic's and this info from Paul Bakkom. This trailer is slightly different in the back than the original Grasshopper. and is only 4x8 according to Paul.

The trailer was built in 1982 by Caveman Campers in Grants Pass Oregon. They were going bankrupt during the gasoline crunch then. They built 50 of these "Cave" moddels and still went broke. The skin is a factory aluminum and is creased they way only they can do it. The side profile is a 10 ft piece of plywood that comes forward 4 feet from the back flat...then the last 6 feet coming to the front drops down I would guess 8-10 inches. The final radius cut seems to be about 10 to 12 inches.

The side of the trailer actually goes below the frame making it look lower. The kitchen doors are doubles....2' x 4' . They are held open at a 90 degree angle by small metal arms...cuts the wind while cooking. Tie a tarp to the boat deck rail tubing...presto a covered kitchen for rain.

Buford
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby M. Olsen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:51 pm

Hey Buford,

Do you have any pictures of this version of the Grasshopper that you can post? I would like to see the differences that this one presents.
Mike Olsen - Rexburg, ID :^)
M. Olsen
Teardrop Master

Postby BufordT » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:32 am

Mike the only two that Paul sent me and I had to scan them in are in the Grasshopper gallery on page two.

Not very good pic's but the front is the same shape as the grasshopper and the back is square.

Bufordt :twisted:

M. Olsen wrote:Hey Buford,

Do you have any pictures of this version of the Grasshopper that you can post? I would like to see the differences that this one presents.
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs