floor construction

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

floor construction

Postby Tintin » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:12 pm

Excuse me, my english is not very good... I'm building a travel trailer that is 14 feet long by 78 inches wide. I'm thinking of building the floor with two 5/8'' spruce plywood glued and screw one over the other. this give me a very sturdy base to receive the walls and all other components. For practical reasons i will have the trailer chassis after the box will be made. This floor will give me a very stiff structure so i will be able to lift it with my forklift and put in place on the trailer chassis. What do you think of that.

Thamks in advance for your advice
Tintin
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Juneaudave » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:37 am

Tintin...we recently had a dicussion on floors...check out this thread...http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=25571

My reaction is that you can get by much cheaper and lighter with a framed and insulated floor, or just a single layer of 3/4 ply. Two 5/8 sheets of ply screwed together will be very heavy, and you won't get alot of extra strength over a composite floor or a single sheet of 3/4 ply. Just my thoughts...Juneaudave
:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby grant whipp » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:51 am

In another life, I used to build enclosed motorcycle/ATV/equipment trailers, 12' to 24' long, and we used 1-1/8" plywood for the floors. Yeah, a little heavy, but solid as a rock, and could really take a beating both inside & out ... :thumbsup: ...! With today's substandard wood sizing, two layers of 5/8" ply will be real close to 1-1/8" actual.

I've been building my teardrop bodies separate from the frame/chassis for coming up on 25 years ... works great for me!

Good Luck with your project! In the meantime ...

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby Tintin » Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:05 pm

The weight of the floor is 240 pounds. 1 sqare foot of 1 1/4 thick plywood is 2.81 pounds. For a 78 by 168 floor i dont think its very heavy. The weight of a framed type floor (2x4 and and 5/8 plywood) can not be very much lighter. With the floor i'm planing to build i can also eliminate a couple of cross member from the chassis without any flex in the floor i think. the isolation issue is not an important factor for me since i will not use my trailer in winter. 1 1/4 think plywood must provide a good isolation anyway. Thanks for your comments and i will give you some news about my project in the next weeks.
Tintin
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs