Japanese-inspired standy/foldy trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Japanese-inspired standy/foldy trailer

Postby navigator » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 pm

Based on the genius of the guys that built the folding motorhome (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=27776), I came up with a small trailer that lifts up to have EIGHT FEET of headroom, yet closes to just 4.5 feet (body height, no suspension).

Lift up the roof, and the small front wall raises (a'la Esterel), and presto, lots of space! It would be easy to include an awning, or even a deck. This is a quick rough-up, few details worked out, but it seems a great solution to the lack of height most "standies" are able to create.

Thoughts...?

Last edited by navigator on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:35 pm

:o :thumbsup: My first thought is how will you keep water out if the sides don't overlap one another on the outside?

My second is I am short. 8) :lol: It would be nice to get that last few inches to stand completely upright...

Soooooooooooooooo, when ya building it? :twisted:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby navigator » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:18 am

The sides do overlap, both open and closed. The roof overhangs the lift-up wall, so that's sealed. The only troublesome area is the usual one, the hinge. For shorter folks, there should be plenty of headroom all around. Note that the door is on the side of the trailer. I have drawn one with a curved roof, too, will post later.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby grant whipp » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:26 pm

navigator wrote:... The only troublesome area is the usual one, the hinge ...

An extruded "hurricane"-type galley lid hinge should work ... but I'd have to see a detail of the proposed hinge area to be sure. Though, I'd definitely want to put some kind of rain shield/cap on the leading end to keep out water, there.

Interesting design/concept ... I'll be keeping an eye on this one ... too ... :thumbsup: ...!

CHEERS!

Grant
Celebrating Retirement after over 32 Years of Building, Promoting, Supporting, Supplying, Living the Lifestyle, and Loving Teardrop Trailers!
"Life Moves a Little Slower When You're On Teardrop Time"
The nature of Life, itself, is change ... "Those who matter, don't mind, and those who mind, don't matter."
grant whipp
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby GregB » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:13 am

Though it isn't attached yet, I've chosen a TILA hinge 2000 which should be water tight in both directions. Got to be concerned with the ends, but it seems like a possible option, here.

http://www.eurotechnics.us/html_pages/tila02.htm

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 am

I have put a circle in the photo below. My concern is that without some type of flashing the water will find it's way in. Might not be a big deal though.

Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:12 pm

MY only thought is where's the wheels? At first look it seems they would be in the middle of the side door. Other than that it looks doable.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby navigator » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Greg, that is an impressive-looking hinge! Is it pricey?

Miriam, where you circled would be a where the roof edge closes to the body, which is easily taken care of by putting a bevel on the mating edges, to drain the water away.

Gary, The doorway was just stuck in, not measured. The latest rendition has the frame and axle included, so the door is moved forward.

The roof hinge is not a continuous hinge, but is pivoted at two points (each end), which causes the roof to shift out a bit as it opens, so it overlaps the top of the lower side wall. The lower portions of the wall that stick out are not essential, they are there for aesthetics when closed. Still working out a few details, will post a current model when I am happy with it.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby GregB » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:29 pm

It is pretty pricey. I can't remember how much, exactly, but it was expensive.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:55 pm

navigator wrote:Greg, that is an impressive-looking hinge! Is it pricey?

Miriam, where you circled would be a where the roof edge closes to the body, which is easily taken care of by putting a bevel on the mating edges, to drain the water away.

Gary, The doorway was just stuck in, not measured. The latest rendition has the frame and axle included, so the door is moved forward.

The roof hinge is not a continuous hinge, but is pivoted at two points (each end), which causes the roof to shift out a bit as it opens, so it overlaps the top of the lower side wall. The lower portions of the wall that stick out are not essential, they are there for aesthetics when closed. Still working out a few details, will post a current model when I am happy with it.

Perhaps you could attach that section to the upper side/roof with a hinge to become the porch awning? :thinking:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby navigator » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:42 pm

Still needs a lot of details worked out, but getting better. Now the rear end slides out, to provide more open floor space, like for a potty/shower. The top of the slide-out is covered by the roof when closed, so is sealed. The body is narrow and there are no wheel wells, so the bed assembly fits inside. The lower side walls are 4' high. The door is 68" tall, standard for pick-up campers and pop-ups. I see the side door (for the closed position) being a swing-down platform, like Coleman uses, with a set-in-place door for the open position.

Last edited by navigator on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:10 pm

:thumbsup: This is such a good idea! Have you seen dploch's slide out.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... e&start=45

We will really enjoy watching this build. Seeing it in person would be a treat! Just be careful of the places where water can hold. :thumbsup: ;)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Non-traditional Designs