My GrassEnder WeekHopper Build...Complete.

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

My GrassEnder WeekHopper Build...Complete.

Postby hereinnv » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:55 pm

After tossing around the idea of building a tiny trailer for years, I finally pulled the trigger in January. I had a 4 month timeline to finish so that my wife and I could take the trailer on our 10 year anniversary trip. I completed it with a few weeks to spare! We took it out into the desert last night for a test run and it performed great (We even had to do some offroading and had no trouble. I overbuilt it for this purpose.) I decided not to make a build website since there are a ton of them here, but I'm willing to answer any questions you might have.

Pics can be found here.

Anyway, it is built on a 5x8 Northern Tool trailer that I lengthened to 9 feet. Tongue weight when loaded is around 125 lbs. (Not an issue if it were heavier...My tow vehicle has a Class 3 hitch.) Axle was replaced with one from Dexter with brakes equipped. My innovation was the A/C installation. It is mounted in the front of the trailer and is on rails so that it hangs outside of the trailer like a normal window unit when in use but is retracted inside when traveling. Other specs...

Tekonsha P3 brake controller
Queen size Serta Perfect Sleeper mattress
19” 1080p flat screen TV
DVD player
Directv DVR
12volt system with deep cycle battery and charger to run radio, lights, fans, etc. when 110v is not available
120v system for AC unit, heater, TV, etc.
640watt 110v inverter to run TV, DVD, etc. when 110v is not available
Sink with hose inlet to connect to water supplies
5000 BTU room A/C
Car radio with speakers in cabin and galley
Microwave
Toaster oven
Refrigerator
Roof hatch with fan
12v room fan
1200W ceramic heater
Coffee Maker
Coming soon: roof rack
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Looks great :thumbsup:

Any particular reason you did the two door rear end like that? And where you find the 19inch 1080p tv?
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby hereinnv » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:27 pm

I did the 2 door design because I wanted a square back for more internal space in the cabin. The square back allowed me to shift the galley cabinets more towards the back of the camper, thus allowing me to be able to build the cabin cabinets and entertainment area further back as well. IMHO, the cabin feels much more "open" than a traditional tear because the cabin cabinets do not hang over end of the mattress as much in my design.

The TV came from Sam's Club. Less than $200, if I recall correctly.
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tonyj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:31 pm

Congratulations on your finish and your first camp-out. Great work! :applause: :applause: :applause:
Still graced with two eyes and ten fingers (due in no small part to luck!).

Just when you think a problem is solved, an uglier result replaces it.

tony
tonyj
Super Lifetime Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:35 pm

That is a very nice build... I like your color schemes...

could you do me a favor, and post a pic or two in this thread... Yea, I like it that much! :D

Did you plumb city water into that, or what do you have running thru your kitchen faucet?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hereinnv » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:54 pm

You want pics, you got 'em.

I feel kinda silly posting up my trailer. Mainly because I've been a lurker here for a long time. I've used this board extensively with the planning and construction of the trailer but never had much to say. I had a specific thing in mind when I started and used this board to help me through many of the nit-picking details. Many people post a ton when they are working on their trailer, but here I am, posting my completed trailer on my...uh...5th post. So I guess I am saying "Thanks to everyone for all of your advice, whether you knew you helped me or not!" Hopefully my build can help inspire someone and I'm always willing to help someone with any advice I can give.

A few bits of info I forgot to post. I used CPES on and around every joint and every place that might come in contact with water. The exterior is painted with 4-5 coats of the best exterior paint that Behr makes. Should last a while since it will be garaged when not in use. Interior is also exterior paint but not the $40 a can variety. Top and bottom are insulated. Several of the top spars are 2x4s and most spars used in the cabinets are 2x2s...for added strength since weight was not a major concern. Trailer is about 76" from ground to top and there is 46" from the top of the mattress to the ceiling inside...spacious!

As far as the plumbing, I mounted a hose bib on the outside of the trailer which you can see on the rear end of the driver side. That way, we can use city water when available. Drainage flows straight down through the floor and into a basin to collect the water.

As requested...pics!

Image[/img]
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Thanks for posting that. I think a lot of people will see that that normally wouldn't click an external link.

Great job on your build by the way!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby DJBear » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:08 pm

What a wonderful trailer! You did an outstanding job on your build.
Just curious; do you have any pix you can add to your album of the build process? I, for one, would love to see "how you did it".

Have a great time! :applause:

Michael
DJ Bear
"Start every day off with a smile and get it over with." --W.C. Fields
DJBear
Donating Member

Postby hereinnv » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:42 pm

Sorry, but I didn't take any pics of the build process. I figured that most builds look the same so I didn't document much. If you have any questions about a specific aspect of the build, I will be happy to fill in the details for you.

Brian
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My GrassEnder WeekHopper Build...Complete.

Postby Pizzaguy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:25 am

hereinnv wrote:Directv DVR

I see ya have a directv DVR.......

Wheres the dish?
Pizzaguy
Teardrop Master

Postby hereinnv » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 am

Dish is being delivered on Tuesday!
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 am

I like your camper :thumbsup:

Check your PM.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:38 pm

hereinnv wrote:Dish is being delivered on Tuesday!

:applause: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :woohoo: :beautiful: :P Very nicely done. The galley is great!

Now someone explain how you get dish on a trailer. . . and how well it works> Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby hereinnv » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:18 am

The dish is not mounted on the trailer. It sits on the ground somewhere around the trailer and is staked to the ground. Here is the description.

Brian
hereinnv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Pizzaguy » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:36 pm

I have Directtv at home. Do you have to have a new subscription or do you have it added to your home package? Can I just get another box & antenna and pay the $5 - $10 additional room charge?

I LOVE my DirectTV!!

Bruce
Pizzaguy
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs