Explorer Pod Build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby schaney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks Navigator ... I've seen that one on ExPo. Early on I consider making the E-Pod taller with side doors like that. I went for the current height because it provided more that enought storage for my needs.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:46 pm

Finally completed all the little details like lights, wiring, safety chains, checking that everything is tight and road tested the Explorer Pod :P

I’m happy to report it tows great. A highway speeds it tracks nice and straight with no wandering. The suspension is a dramatic improvement over standard trailer springs. Train tracks, speed bumps and potholes that send my flat bed trailer bouncing off the ground, were all no problem. The real test was a 40 mph run down a washboard, potholed gravel road, the springs just soaked up the bumps. Keep in mind this was towing it empty.
Image Image

Image Image

There was one bummer, the Trailer Top Tent I’ve been work on still has a few details to finish. So to get the Explorer Pod on the road initially, I removed it and put a Mombasa poly-cotton tent unit on it for now. Although the Mombasa tent does look nice on it also.

Image Image

Next stop, get it out camping ...
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Well my daughters up coming wedding is keeping us pretty busy, it’ll be September before we can get the Explorer Pod out camping.

Did get a set of the Arko-Mils storage boxes from Fastenal that I’ll be using. They have attached, folding lids and stack nicely. They are 21.5” x 15” and 9” / 12.5” / 17” tall.

They have a lot more usable space inside then the Rubber Maid Action Packer I have been using and are notably thicker.

I’m working on how best to pack them, here is my kitchen box with a Sterilite basket for organizing items.
Image Image

Here are some of the different stacking options for putting them in the trailer. In the one, my folding table fits nicely on top.
Image Image

With a row of boxes in back, then my cooler, water jugs, chairs and another storage box will go on the end.

Still working out how to best organize the nose box.

Here are some of the different stretch nets and pouch samples I’m trying out for organizing and securing items in the nose box.
Image Image
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Wed May 05, 2010 10:53 am

Here are some shoot of the Explorer Pod with a production MOAB Diy tent unit mounted on it.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby zelix » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:23 am

Nice build. I love how it's so light and obviously easily towed by any vehicle.

I have been waffling between making a tear or just going for a RTT now that I have my trailer made. I've seen RTT up close and I like them. I was considering buying one. I thought Why not challenge myself to make one? I really love projects and can make one to fit my exact needs.

I think after seeing your effort I'm up to the challenge of making a RTT. I am currently designing the tent in my spare time. I've got no worries about the structure. I've got the 'foldability' of it all in my mind. I just need to nail it out in CAD. At this moment I'm happy that I had the intersections & developments class.:lol:

My only concern is the fabric aspect of it. I can sew [somewhat] but I'm not sure where to get the fabric or how much. I'm slowly researching it now. I'll have to figure out the fabric, how to work the machine, and general sewing techniques.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Zelix, thanks ... I find the "Tent Topped", soft sided approach a great way to go.

Learning new skills is fun! As with any new skill they is some learning curve. With sewing canvas, a decent commerical machine at minimum is needed, an industrial machine makes things much easier.

There are many fabrics you can use, I like Sunforger a marine army duck cotton canvas for the breathability.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby zelix » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

schaney wrote:Zelix, thanks ... I find the "Tent Topped", soft sided approach a great way to go.

Learning new skills is fun! As with any new skill they is some learning curve. With sewing canvas, a decent commerical machine at minimum is needed, an industrial machine makes things much easier.

There are many fabrics you can use, I like Sunforger a marine army duck cotton canvas for the breathability.

Wow, I just checked commercial machines are expensive. I was hoping to use my wifeys old machine. I would buy a industrial if I was making several... but for the cost of one I'd be half-way to the cost of the tent.
zelix
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 pm

As with any job, the right eqiupment can make things much easier. The challenges with a home machine will be fabric weight, number of layers and feeding something the size of a tent through it.

Yes a decent used industrial machine is $600+, adding a few options and you're up to $1000.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Franklin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:50 am

This is fantastic! By searching, I found this and another thread on the Camping Concept build. We just ordered the CD. This gives us an option that we had not thought of before. We have the plans for a chuck box on wheels from Mother Earth News but the sleeping on the ground thing just isn't that appealing anymore but we like fresh air and always enjoyed the pop-up campers until they became nothing but junk after a couple years or so and parts for something so "old" were no longer available. With 3 adults, there is a family tent available and we can vary the size of the box to handle the items we need to take along. I'm going to finish buying the needed camping items and pile them in the middle of the living room and eye them for a couple days - have already measured out an area on the carpet. I'm cleaning out the garage to make room for the build and got my fingers crossed that I can inject enough energy in the other 2 family members to finally get a camping unit. Hopefully, we'll be camping in ours by spring. :worship: Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:09 am

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Good luck getting everyone motivated for the project.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Keith.B.Nimble » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

This looks really interesting to me. The only hold back that I have is that I live in Central Texas and it gets really hot here. Has anyone figured out how to integrate some kind of air conditioning system to this? :worship:
Keith
Keith.B.Nimble
Teardrop Builder

Postby schaney » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 am

Keith, In the PNW we don't worry about such things :D

Here is what someone did for a heater, same idea should work for a small cooler.

See thread on Expo at Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent, it's the #4 down.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Keith.B.Nimble » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 am

Thats nice for a heater. But I believe too small for an A/C unit. I was thinking something along the line of a small unit mounted into the explorer box with flexible ducting/tubing going into the tent. If I could find a small a/c unit with a remote control I would be able to adjust the unit during the night without having to get out of the tent. :thinking:

Still in the head scratching stage.

Keith
Keith.B.Nimble
Teardrop Builder

Postby schaney » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:55 am

I've seen mention of something called a Pet Cool, this might be a compact unit.

In the middle of the folding tent units by the base is a flap on each side that a 2-3" tube could be put in for an inlet and outlet to a cooler.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Keith.B.Nimble » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:09 pm

This would solve my problem
http://www.katscoolers.com/store.php

I could put it in the stand up portion of the M.O.A.B tent. I just wouldn't know if it would be strong enough to offset the heat of 2 adults and the summer heat. :thinking:

I am starting to lean towards building a Squidget instead
http://www.thesquidget.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw1qPSJLCxY

It definitely would cost more and would create more drag, use more gas, but more comforts as well. If it were just me I would keep it simple and do the Explorer Pod, but I have to make sure my wife is comfortable too.

Keith
Keith.B.Nimble
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs