Building a plane TTT

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby planovet » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am

Ah yes, homo sapiens americanus exercisus, an endangered species. Sometimes found in pairs and rarely in packs, this species is bordering on extinction. It is usually dressed in bright colors, especially during mating season. Its demise has been linked to beer, cable TV, computer games and texting motorists.
ImageMark (& Cindi)
Visit our website: Little Swiss Teardrop

I was wondering why the water balloon was getting bigger... and then it hit me.

ImageImageImageImage
planovet
The Cat Man

Postby Laredo » Sun May 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Now that looks like an F-22 that would do some good in the world...
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri May 22, 2009 7:39 am

We think a good paint job would make any TT look like a plane , without resorting to fins/etc. http://tnttt.com/album_ ... ic_id=7640
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby devigata » Sat May 23, 2009 5:55 am

You're right! Imagine that pulling up next to you on the highway. HA!
devigata
Donating Member

Postby Alan Wood » Sat May 23, 2009 6:37 pm

That certainly would attract a bigger crowd than normal at a camp ground. I think anyways.
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Skammers » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:12 am

I have A B17 project almost completed 5X11ft. I Am designing some interesting features. I am a aircraft mechanic and consultant with lots of ideas that are and will be incorperated.
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby devigata » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 am

Skammers wrote:I have A B17 project almost completed 5X11ft. I Am designing some interesting features. I am a aircraft mechanic and consultant with lots of ideas that are and will be incorperated.

Nifty!!! Love those front windows.

devigata
Donating Member

Postby rxc463 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:23 am

That is an awesome looking project! Can't wait to see it finished :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Russ

Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.
rxc463
The 300 Club

Postby Skammers » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:44 pm

A. I have a B17 about 60% completed 5 x 11ft. I am designing in some interesting elements. I am an aircraft mechanic and consultant with lots of ideas and a big shop.

(1) Systems such as:

(a) Hot water heat

(b) Three-way electrical and refrigerator

(c) Pitot tube/airspeed

(d) Large Aircraft style fuel cap for water fill

(e) Slide out electrical shelf with exterior door access, vented

(f) Composite Propane tank

(g) Swamp cooler small scale 12v

(h) Wings

(i) and Much more

B. This build was started in Alaska, now we are back in my old hometown of Oroville Washington. Not much work has been done in the last 9 months due to a serious accident and recovery time. But know I am retired and getting time to complete many of the elements listed. I can guarantee you it will not go unnoticed.

C. Some people say why and I say why not. When looking for a build I reviewed as much as I could find and looked and looked, then came upon a small obscure drawing of what was termed a B-17. No one has ever built one that I can discern, so I reasioned , well if I am going to build one this is going be it. So I got started building from the ground up, it took nine sheets of plywood layed out on a 6 x 12 ft table to layout the profile etc...

D:\TomKammers\My Documents\Teardrop Trailers\B17
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby Juneaudave » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Skammers....I was wondering where you went. Alaskan's have a way of just dropping off the face of the earth sometimes...Hope all is well!!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Alan Wood » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Skammers that trailer looks great. :thumbsup:
Alan Wood
Alan Wood
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Skammers » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 pm

It was interesting building the trailer frame, as welding is also a hobby of mine and I was not vary satisfied with the technics various builders employed to attach the floor and walls to the frame.

My walls are 1 1/4 inch thick and the floor is 3/4 plywood. Also I wanted the tires/wheels to be centered over the walls, that is, half in and half out of the side wall. Then build a custom finder that doesn’t stick out much which I built.

So I started the frame build with a axle at the correct width and welded up the frame accordingly. To accommodate mounting the walls I welded an 1 1/2 angle along the bottom side with 3 inch flat stock above providing a stable vertical attachment point and a solid base to support the wall. Only then was I able to place the wall on the frame and locate the cut out for the wheel. To insure the location and the size was correct I made a plywood wheel the correct size, in the end all elements were located as planned and I am happy with the layout.

It seamed a long way around however the results are what I wanted with no compromises.

[img]http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/image.php?image_id=24763[/url][/img]
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

B-17 High Speed Taxie

Postby Skammers » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:51 pm

I left Alaska on December 27. I pulled the vary overloaded trailer with a front wheel drive HHR. That was interesting, it was -35 F on the trip back, I was glad I had installed electric breaks on the trailer. I temporarily closed up the trailer and installed some metal finders just for the trip down. No worries

Skammers
Teardrop Builder

Postby ai4kk » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:15 pm

When I first read this, I had an image of the utility trailer / search and rescue practice target / mobile billboard that I built for the local CAP squadron when I was a member. It was a Cessna fuselage with the lightweight aluminum wheels and axles replaced with standard trailer hardware (welded to flat leaf-spring plates which were bolted to corresponding leaf-spring plates welded to the spring steel legs) and a trailer hitch shove up it's butt. It towed really nicely and would have had plenty of room for one or two to sleep in. I could see putting a hollow engine compartment on there that split sideways to reveal a kitchen!
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

B 17 Build

Postby Skammers » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:09 am

The engine and cowl area is built to slide forward to provide storage and room for other items.

The nose cowl will be covered with aluminum and be painted checkerboard white and black with a short exhaust stack from a round motor.

A spinner and a painted round motor in front will be added to make it look right.

There will be a few surprises as well.
Skammers
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs