I HADDA DREAM! well an A/C idea

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

I HADDA DREAM! well an A/C idea

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:33 am

OK,, lemme splain my idea and yall shoot it down, tell me why it wont work or think on it and see if it will work,,,, and no I aint taking drugs !!!

here goes,,, Take the cooling mechanicals from a bottle water cooler, (compressor, tank etc),, attach a small tank reservoir and a small radiator (transmission cooler) along with a very small 12v pump into a closed loop system,, now get a small 12v fan to blow air across the radiator,, attach a thermostat to the pump and fan , of course the chiller would have to be on a 110v circuit,,,

the chiller cools water,, thermostat calls for cooling and turns on pump and fan,,, inside of trailer cools down and turns thermostat off,, chiller keeps water ready to go,,,

now the heat exchanger/fan would be built into a plentium of sorts,, compressor built in somewhere,, the system needs to be unpresureized, and drainable for travel,,,

OK now gimme ya best shot as to why it will or wont work,,, I will reserve my other idea as to the hot water outlet on the water cooler will be used for,,,,

chipper :thinking: :designing: :scratchthinking: :fan: :picklejuice: :picklejuice:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am

Chipper ol' buddy, I don't see why it wouldn't work...I just havvta ask WHY???....K.I.S.S....nowattimean........... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

not big enough

Postby coal_burner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:23 am

Good theory. Unfortunately it wouldn't provide enough cooling. The mechanicals on the water coolers i looked up are only capable of moving about 200 BTUs per hour (they are rated for 1 to 1.5 gallons per hour at a 20 degree F temp. drop). A person gives off about 300 BTUs per hour at rest. A small air conditioner moves between 3,500 and 5,000 BTUs per hour.

Keep the ideas comin'.
We may have philosophy and opposable thumbs, but most humans show all the wisdom of starved raccoons. It's amazing that more of us aren't found flattened on the side of our own roads.
the original bub build thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19227
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:11 am

Well MAD,, why not!!!!!!! Some how the "wow" factor of central air conditioning inna teardrop would be something different,,,, :D ,, I mean if all our trailers were the same then it wouldnt be near as much fun ,, now would it,,, you know I gotta show off a lil bit :D

Now coal burner done went and poo poo'ed on my idea,, and with technical data tooo,,,, ok coal is there a chiller thats small and compact that something like this would work with????? :D

Just seems to me a 5000btu a/c is cumberson and way over rated for a teardrop and anything else isnt made in a small unit like we need ,,,, now if they made a 2000 btu window unit dat might be just about right :thumbsup:

chipper :thinking:
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 am

...hey Chip, COOL FACTOR is always an acceptable answer to...WHY??? :D ;) ................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Woody » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:28 am

They do make small 2000 BTU units I have found. Unfortunately they are so cost prohibitive its not worth even to consider. So Chip what is up there buddy. Are ya camping again. Miss ya my friend
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:40 am

Woodrow,,, HAYYYYYYYYYY,,, buddy,,, camping a lil,,, starting a new build,,, great big ole stand er upper,,, least 6'tall and 9'10 long,,,, :lol:

just roomy enough for coffee pot and jar of pickles,,,, and I can put my britchies on in upight position,,, I am getting old ya know,,,

Miss yall too my friend,,, Give Ellen a hug for me,, hope to see yall one of these here days,,

chipper :thumbsup:
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

other appliances

Postby coal_burner » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:12 pm

You could try using some standard refrigerator/freezer guts. They rate at around 800 BTU/HR.
The plan in my camper is to gut a room air conditioner and turn it into a combination refrigerator/air conditioner. The refrigerator will have a block of ice in it as a heat buffer. a 2"dia copper pipe routed through that ice will be the duct that air gets blown through to provide a nice even amount of air conditioning and dehumidification for the sleeping area.

Believe it or not, this is the field i hold licenses in.
We may have philosophy and opposable thumbs, but most humans show all the wisdom of starved raccoons. It's amazing that more of us aren't found flattened on the side of our own roads.
the original bub build thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19227
coal_burner
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

I believe !!!!! I REALLY DO,,,, I know just enough about this kinda stuff to be real dangerous so bare wid me on this,,, I have thought long and hard about a way to cool a tear or small trailer without having to plant a 13000bth unit on top thats damn near big as the teardrop,,, or hang an unsightley box off the side of a trailer or out the rear window,,, THERE JUST HAS TO BE A WAY!!!!!,, I even thought about tearing apart a perfectley good window unit to see if it could be split into outside and inside components and somehow hid or built into the trailer,,, I have a 5000btu unit with metal plates and duct tape all over the cool and warm sides of the front and 4" tubing run all over the place and it actually works good,,, but the damn thing looks like I am fueling the space shuttle,,,, cold air goes in a boot in one roll out window on the side of trailer and then warm air is pulled thru the foot bulkhead and recirculated thru the ac unit and back into cabin,,, (it just dont pay to give a redneck a roll of duct tape)this whole mass of engeneering sits on the ground next to the trailer,,

So Coal,,, I am taking it upon myself to nominate you to design,,,, engineer,, figure out etc etc a way to take cheap components and come up with a easy to build/fabricate cooling device we all can use,,, :D :thumbsup:

see how easy I can pass the buck,,, :shake hands: :picklejuice:

remember it aint the heat,, its da humdidity

chipper
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

I have thought long and hard about thru the floor air ducts. A pair of 4" pvc pipes with tees and ells to deliver the cooled air ( or heated) to the tear with a couple small fans. The a/c unit could be placed under the tear out of the beating sun and a shroud ( air box) would be used to gather the cooled air for delivery. I know there are thermostat access problems and others but it's out of site.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Chip » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 pm

BOBHENRY,,, dats about what i got in essence,, cept my tear is too low to slide much underneath it,,,, I used a 4" pvc cleanout hub on the rear where the warmer air is drawn out of tear ,,,, I get asked about what it is,,, I usually tell em its the drain for the hot tub :lol: ,,, I just usually set the thermostat on the a/c unite at 70 and it keeps the inside plus or minus a degree or two of that,,, lemme put it this way,, girl friend is comfortable so its usually peacful and quiet :D

With all the talent in this forum I know this little bit of engineering details can be whooped,,, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mike Angeles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:43 pm

unless I missed it, those affected by Humidity,.. might be an isssue?
Mike
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby Mike Angeles » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm

oppps
Last edited by Mike Angeles on Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

tact /takt/ –noun
1. a keen sense of what to say or do to avoid giving offense; including the ability to speak or act without offending.
2. a keen sense of what is appropriate, tasteful, or aesthetically pleasing; taste;
Mike Angeles
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm

Hey Chip...

Cheap... simple...

attractive!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

A/C

Postby Danny » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

I agree with Mike. don't re invent the wheel. you can pick up a cheap 5000 btu for under 100 bucks new on sale if you watch the sale ads. plenty of room under the average galley.
Danny
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs