Weekender +

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Weekender +

Postby pilot210 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:48 am

I've finally signed up after lurking for a few months and soaking in all the knowledge here...nice! Here's the inital plan for a supersized Weekender. I've designed it to be offroad capable, to be towed behind my FJ Cruiser. Nothing too hardcore (too tall/top heavy), but it should be able to handle trips in to the mountains without problems. It's designed currently to run on 33" tires, and has a springover. This is a rough guess version of the trailer. I still need to finalize the dimensions, and create the interior...the interior is designed on paper. I just noticed I need to finish off the wheel arches too to box them in. It should hold a queen sized bed, and will have a small dinette and toilet inside. There will be storage inside, and a galley under a hatch in back. Note too that this is not the final paint scheme, though I do like it! I borrowed heavily from the Weekender and Sawtooth XL plans, with a little bit o' Squidget thrown in...thanks in advance! If/when I start building, I'll create a builder's log. I'm recovering from neck surgery, so I can't build anything for a few months. Window and door sizes are guesses. The door is kinda different. It's a clam shell. The top half will swing up, and the bottom half will swing down and will have steps built in. There will be an internal, full length screen door. I designed the door this way since the bottom of the trailer will be fairly high off the ground...around 20-21 inches. I think I've overbuilt the frame design too, but that's OK with me. This is my first project in Sketchup...cool program! I figured I'd consult the trailer gods/goddesses before I get too far in to the design so I can correct/modify problems before they become real life problems. Comments/advice/criticisms are appreciated!

Centennial, CO
pilot210
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Greg M » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Looks good, but yeah, fix those wheel arches. That'd make for one rough night's sleep :)

-Greg
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.
Greg M
*Geek Extraordinaire

Postby hugh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Looks cool, you might find you need to move the door forward a bit just so the doorway doesn't intrude on the usable interior space.
hugh
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Looks good - the shape and color scheme is outstanding!

As you show it now, you may want to have your wheels partially or fully outside of the teardrop. Inboard wheels/wheelwells do eat up a lot of usable floor space.

Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby pilot210 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for the comments! My initial plan was to have the dinette and toilet in front of the trailer, so the door is moved back a bit. I put the peak of the roof centered on the door to maximize headroom there, while leaving enough space for the table and toilet. I think I'll have to keep the wheels where they are. I used that axle width match up with my FJ Cruiser...I'd like the track of the trailer to approximate the track of my tow rig, which is around 63.5 inches or so. Time to work on the interior...
Centennial, CO
pilot210
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mikeschn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:50 am

Any more progress on this design?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby pilot210 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 pm

Nope...none. Work, travel, life got in the way. And I bought a 1973 Apache Ramada which is quickly taking up my camper funds! Stupid gearboxes... :lol: I haven't given up on it, but the design is definitely taking a long nap!
Centennial, CO
pilot210
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs