tailgate tear

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

tailgate tear

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:46 pm

I had another crazy thought of putting a tear in the bed of an old truck like a 5 window chevy or something with a long bed. See my family owns a car lot and we have cars that are old and new. If I want an old one I just ask. I would like an old chevy to fix up and put it in. My idea is put the tear in the bed for good or make it like those ones that have legs that can be put on and jacked out of the bed for use. I dont know, please tell me if this sounds ok or not, it sounds ok to me, thanks!
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:58 pm

ok, I messured the old chevys bed and it is 4feet and 2 inches wide by 9 feet long, It is the biggest one I can find and that is the plenty of space for a tear. The olny question I have now is how to get in :?: lol, ok, give me somne thoughts, thanks
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby BufordT » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:53 pm

tdthinker wrote:ok, I messured the old chevys bed and it is 4feet and 2 inches wide by 9 feet long, It is the biggest one I can find and that is the plenty of space for a tear. The olny question I have now is how to get in :?: lol, ok, give me somne thoughts, thanks

Ryan,

I thought about something like that at one time. Still might do it later on if I can get an old Dodge. But I'd just take the bed off and build the tear shaped body right on the frame of the truck.

That way you just have a step up to get to the door.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:21 pm

I thought about that but I like the look of the old bed. I gusse I could just put the old wheel wells on the sides. Or since my door would be half in the bed and half out I could cut out the part where my door is and attach it to the door so it looks like the bed is still there.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:06 pm

I too have thought of this ....

My dream was to have it roll off the bed so I could leave it and have the truck for other uses.

There have been several who have made them to put in utility trailers and then sent them aside for other uses for the trailer.

There is a guy who is moving to portland who has showen his teardrop trailer and his truck had one built on it as well. the one in the truck had a side sink the opposite side as extra storage and a real icecream type bar. It was green he just painted it bright purple. Probably the wifes choice. So he had two teardrops not just one. I have some photo's somewhere. The truck was a 1946 chevy. The trailer a resored 1947 teardrop, I may have the years switched.

Hey ...
Dave K. did you get any of it with your digital??

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby tdhombre » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:04 pm

I did get a picture of the rig you refer to. I have uploaded it into my personal album space on the board.

This outfit was shown at the Morro Bay Car Show on May 30 - June 2, 2004. I believe the owner was from Paso Robles, CA. I don't remember anything about a move to Oregon though.

Hopefully this link will take one directly to it.

http://tnttt.com/album_ ... pic_id=223
tdhombre
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:46 am

those rock, thanks
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Forrest Ebbs » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:08 pm

It's a Spartan Manor "Motorhome". P.S. There's an IHC commercial chassis in there somewhere.

How about this, but from a Teardrop?
Forrest Ebbs

Postby tdthinker » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:10 pm

weird but cool, It remindes me of an airstream model on wheels. Thanks
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs