Ready or not here I come.

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Ready or not here I come.

Postby Gadget Man » Mon May 23, 2005 11:55 pm

Hey Mike, ya got me, I'm hooked and think I'm ready to start.
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for a couple weeks now, and think the Weekender is going to be my first project.
I just sold my 6 MPG gas guzzeling motor home and want to get back to the basics of camping, but have a couple questions before I start.
I want to go with a 5x10 weekender, so should I build a 5x9 frame?
I want a full 7 foot bed. Plus a bit more galley space.
I also have a question on the walls, if I build a frame out of 2x2's and skin it with 1/4 luaun outside and 1/4 paneling inside it that strong enough?? Or should I go with 1/2 plywood outside and 1x2 strip frame with 1/4 inch paneling inside ? it will be insulated and I plan to use the epoxy paint on the outside.
One last thing, how come I have not seen one tear drop from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" Minnesota?? Come on Guys I know your'e out there.
Thanks, Gadget Man, Central Minnesota.
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Tue May 24, 2005 7:13 am

GadgetMan, I think your 5 X 9 trailer frame will work fine. As far as walls go, I made mine with 1/2" outside, 1 X 2 spars and 1/4" birch ply for the inside. I'm not finished with mine yet but it is really strudy.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Gadget Man » Tue May 24, 2005 8:31 am

War Pony :
Thanks for the Reply, with the 1/2 inch plywood what type are you using?
I imagine if I go with the painted outside, I'll need a very nice smooth outside to work with, so the cheap ply with knot holes and voids won't turn out. I was checking my local Home Depot and found a lot of the ply was all twisted and warped, but I supose once I glue it to the frame it will flatten / straighten out.
I'm thinking if I go with the 1/2 ply I'll special order 4 x10 sheets.
I figure thats the only way I'll be able to cut out the roof with out a lot of waste, (4x10 sheets cut in half, mounted sideways accross for the top)

Gadget Man
My kids may be smarter than me,
But I know more.
Gadget Man
Teardrop Master

Postby WarPony » Tue May 24, 2005 5:47 pm

I bought some 1/2" birch ply at Home Depot. It's pretty smooth and looks good. I am going to stain the sides so I was pretty picky on which sheets I chose. It would almost be a shame to paint over this stuff. It was only about $24 a sheet so that was a plus. The 3/4" birch was around $43 each!! If you are going to paint, you should be able to get some fairly smooth plywood that doesn't cost too much.
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Re: Ready or not here I come.

Postby Joanne » Wed May 25, 2005 4:31 pm

Gadget Man wrote:Hey Mike, ya got me, I'm hooked and think I'm ready to start.
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on for a couple weeks now, and think the Weekender is going to be my first project.
I just sold my 6 MPG gas guzzeling motor home and want to get back to the basics of camping, but have a couple questions before I start.
I want a full 7 foot bed. Plus a bit more galley space.
I also have a question on the walls, if I build a frame out of 2x2's and skin it with 1/4 luaun outside and 1/4 paneling inside it that strong enough?? Or should I go with 1/2 plywood outside and 1x2 strip frame with 1/4 inch paneling inside ? it will be insulated and I plan to use the epoxy paint on the outside.
One last thing, how come I have not seen one tear drop from the "Land of 10,000 Lakes" Minnesota?? Come on Guys I know your'e out there.
Thanks, Gadget Man, Central Minnesota.

Hi Mr. Gadget (or is it Mr. Man?),

I'm in the process of building a 5.5x10 grasshopper. Rather than spend the money on 4x10 plywood, I used lap joints to join the pieces of plywood. I'm planning on covering the outside with fiberglass to stop the plywood from checking, then use epoxy paint on it.

You can see my web site at: http://www.asolidfoundation.com

I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Re: Ready or not here I come.

Postby mikeschn » Wed May 25, 2005 5:16 pm

Gadget Man wrote:Hey Mike, ya got me, I'm hooked and think I'm ready to start.

There is a 12" Chamfer on the front, and a 6" chamfer on the back, so you'll want to build your frame 18" shorter than your body, or 8' 6".

Gadget Man wrote:I want a full 7 foot bed. Plus a bit more galley space.

That shouldn't be a problem in a 10' long tear.

Gadget Man wrote:I also have a question on the walls, if I build a frame out of 2x2's and skin it with 1/4 luaun outside and 1/4 paneling inside it that strong enough??

2x2s sounds quite heavy. I would frame them out of 1x2s. When you glue the luan on, it's going to be plenty strong. Then if you glue in extruded polystyrene, it'll be even stronger. 1/4" paneling on the inside is fine, but make sure it's moisture resistant!

Gadget Man wrote: Or should I go with 1/2 plywood outside and 1x2 strip frame with 1/4 inch paneling inside ? it will be insulated and I plan to use the epoxy paint on the outside.

No need to go with the 1/2" plywood in the walls. It just adds weight. The epoxy paint is sweet and easy. Then if you can find a decal from JC Whitney, that'll really jaz it up! Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Non-traditional Designs