tear with a little lift

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

tear with a little lift

Postby cappy208 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:47 pm

a little story time
step 1

step 2 lifted roof

walls going up

here's where the 6' sleeping room fits into a 5' wide trailer!

Image[/img]

how it all fits, and stows

Now, anyone out there that can explain how to make hinges work in sketchup? I cant make them work. Doesn't seem to be clear directions with sketchup.
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

The start

Postby cappy208 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:01 pm

It has been a while, and with some impetus from the BUB, and the 'motorcycle trailer' I have a slightly new direction. No more aluminum frame, and sandwich construction, but foam/fiberglass sandwich walls. The old adage stick with what you know... sort of like right smack in the face!

Anyway, heres the starting pics:

And behind the intended tow vehicle.

1" poly iso foam board, two laminations of cloth, and epoxy. More pics as I make progress
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:47 am

Very interesting design.

I've been thinking about a slide-out but was have trouble coming up with a good seal. Your design has given me more food for thought.

I'm also interested in the glass over foam construction. Please document your build well!

Thank you, Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby starleen2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:05 am

Why a 5 wide instead of a 6 wide and eliminate the complexity of the slide out? I really don't see the value of a potential weakness in the wall for the benefit of one extra foot. fold outs and swing ups are neat - I have a ladybug WW - however, I am envious of those who pull up (or back in) and lift the back hatch and they are done with the set up. You will have a roof to raise, walls to swing up and latch, a slide out to pull out then secure all this at the about the same cost to build a six wide. I have used the same trailer and build the ladybug on top and it's 6 ft 6 inches wide To make the hinges work you need to create each hinged wall as a group the create multiple "scenes" and use the rotation tool to adjust the swing.
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

after stretching it out

Postby cappy208 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:28 am

work in progress

all done

After the trailer 'box' is formed, i will adjust the axle location and reattach the axles to straighten out the tongue weight.

I have some issues/thoughts about the european thoughts on tongue weight (how little they have/use) compared to our standards.

Now i have to start the polyiso board accumulation, and hitting the piggy bank for the fiberglass.

After some research, (Thanks to Coal Burners well documented post) I have found how polyester resin is NOT able to be used to adhere fiberglass to foam board. BUT, Epoxy resin does!! I figure if surfboards are made with epoxy, and are able to with stand the rigors of bending, flexing and being immersed in, flooded by and abused in water, it ought to be sufficent for a trailer.

Starleen: I decided to modify the design and NOT have a slide, tip, or push out. I made the trailer 5 x 10 to have enough room for a albeit squished queen sized bed, and room for standing area, and a galley inside the trailer.
I also felt it really important to keep the width of the trailer to the width of the tow vehicle. I want as little aero drag as possible, and having an extra 6" or so, on each side would only aggravate it. My other thinking is that I wanted a place to escape the rain when camping, I want to be ENCLOSED in a solid wall, not a tent (thus not getting a popup) and I want the adventure of building, as well as camping!

I will try to use Sketchup to make new drawings of the idea as i get time, But my new thoughts are quite similar to Coal burners, and the 'lightweight motorcycle trailer' post.

The big thought/ decision maker for me about foam is the structural integrity and strength of fiberglass is a no brainer. And I know how to use FG. aluminum I aint so up on with welding and brazing.
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

foam delamination

Postby cappy208 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Do any of you have comments about the use of foam board and fiberglas epoxy and longevity and delamination?

I have found some interesting foam boards impregnated with fiber and glas face. any one else used these boards? I would like to order some, but would like any amplifying info if available.
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

Re: after stretching it out

Postby angib » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:34 am

cappy208 wrote:I have some issues/thoughts about the european thoughts on tongue weight (how little they have/use) compared to our standards.

But please remember that European tongue weights go with European trailer use - like maximum 50mph (or sometimes 60mph) speed when towing and expectations that the driver can detect and control sway.

European tongue weights and American trailer use would not be a good combination - at least, not for very long.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

trailer weight and towing

Postby cappy208 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 am

Since you're on the other side of the pond.

over there, over paid and .... :o

what are your thoughts, experience and ideas on tongue weight on a 750 lb (340 KG) trailer? I am not so sure that it is such a huge issue, since the trailer will be so light. Or is the weight irrelevant, and it is simply trailer axle placement, and proportions? My only experience towing is boats, and I have never had an issue with light/ heavy tongue wt. (or at least not to a detrimental experience)
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

tear with a little lift

Postby mezmo » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi cappy208.

'Came across your post and it reminded me of an Esterel that
I saw on the New Zealand auction web site TradeMe earlier in
the year. 'Thought it might have ideas for you.

Here's a 1997 Esterel [An European [French?] folding RV] side view of
the fold up/out wall containing the extra width:

Here's a 3/4 view from the left rear. Note the extra width wall is hinged
so that internally it provides part of the front and rear dinette seats:

Here's an internal view of that:

Here's the rear dinette set up:

Here's the rear dinette in bed mode:

Here's an upper view of the rear dinette area showing the
upper part of the extra width wall on the right.

A nice unit all in all for the narrow width for towing and then
extra width when set up.

I have some more pics but just did these few since this is the
first time I've tried to embed pics in a post. It's rather tedious
to install to your album, then put in the post. If you would like to
see the rest, just PM me, and I could try to email copies of the other pics
if you're interested. (I've never emailed pics before so it would
be a learning experience for me. Ha!)

mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club