mini hybrid camper...

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

mini hybrid camper...

Postby navigator » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Using my recent acquisition as a base (http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=35089), I have come up with a melding of designs that has lots of merit (I think...)

It is short, has a crank-up roof like a regular tent camper, and has a slide-out bed with partial hard sides. This allows real windows to be used, and provides a bit more of a secure feeling (from critters). The canvas upper portion is much easier to work with than hard sides, and saves some weight.

There is a queen bed in the slide-out, and four feet between it and the door when open. The door is my favorite Coleman-style (set in place, not a half door). The slide-out is high enough to clear the propane tank on the tongue, and there is lots of storage under the bed that is accessible from outside (not shown).

Here are the first rough drafts:

navigator
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:18 pm

Navigator, from the dimensions of your base trailer, looks like you could do a simple VW bus style single side tilt up roof. You'd still have almost 4' between the bed and the door.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby dontpanik » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:15 pm

I love your design! Can't wait to see pics of the build
dontpanik
Teardrop Builder

lift?

Postby cappy208 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:13 am

I am in the middle of finishing my design for a similar idea. How have you figured to lift the roof?

I have toyed with the idea of using the external lift springs, to keep the interior clear, but I hate the idea of the gull wings on the sides while driving.

There was an earlier post on here from AU. It sparked interest because he used the corner aluminum tubes to make home made air rams to lift from the corners. But again that takes out the ability to 'unfold' the side and end walls up to make the 6' head room.

I want to have hard sides, no canvas. Some campgrounds wont let you in with soft sides. (bear problems)
cappy208
Teardrop Builder

Postby navigator » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:38 pm

The lift was going to be a regular tent-trailer system, the Jayco style would be easiest to adapt. I have acquired an Esterel, a hard wall folding trailer, so will not be building.
navigator
Teardrop Master

Fabric Sides and top.

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:11 pm

We've had a couple of tent trailers. The biggest thing I disliked was that they were hot in the day (the fabric takes the sun's rays and seems to be 1000% efficient in converting it into heat) and cold at night (no insulation). The idea of a really small trailer with a pop up roof and a slide out is really cool. If you could have the top and sides insulated (maybe a fabric sandwich or lightweight fiberglass/foam/etc) I think it would be even better.

I aquired a set of tent trailer telescoping mechinisms and am thinking about a pop up head/shower in front of the cabin.

Food for thought.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Return to Non-traditional Designs