New Modular Kit Camper Design

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Teal Camper update

Postby Larry Drake » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:43 pm

Sorry for the long absence on this forum. Someone mentioned their concerns with the long delays on the Teal Camper. As the designer/developer, no one is more concerned than I am. Here is what is happening.

We spent a wasted year with a rotational molding company thay didn't really know what they were doing when it came to our custom parts. The result was that every run of parts we got were worse than the ones before. All the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't seem to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I finally got fed up and moved the project to a new molding company that specializes in unique custom parts. (Should have done it long ago!)

Anyway, it didn't take but a few minutes for our new molding team member to identify the problems and the solutions. The first parts they ran were better than anything we had seen before. :) But.... we have to do some re-tooling, and that will take some time.

I have added some videos to our website. We are also very pleased with the performance of the production prototypes. They have been over many highways and gravel roads, seen snow storms, winds storms and torrential downpours and passed with flying colors.

Product development is an untraveled road. You can try and estimate your time of arrival, but you have very little idea of the potholes and detours you are going to encounter along the way.

Persistence is a major key to success. We have a great product and we are bound and determined to get it to market.

Please check out our website at www.TealPanel.com
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Wolffarmer » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 am

Hey Larry

I looked over your web sight and the Teal is an interesting concept. I wish you the best. Getting a new product to market is a scary and not cheap process.

Right now the Teal is not my kind of camper. But then the one I have is not everyone else's either. But I can see a niche for yours. I live out in the country on 3 acres of land. Having an extra trailer or pickup is not a problem. And i do have extra trailers and pickups.

:oops:

Shoot with the big water tanks they roto mold a person could make a full size camper. Way in the future.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

It's a crazy manufacturing world!

Postby Larry Drake » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 pm

The barriers to getting a new product manufactured are enormous. As per my last post, we were excited over our new molder and saw production just a few weeks away, and then..... wham. The corporate offices of the new molder made the decision to focus on high volume, high end existing clients. We were told we didn't qualify and to come pick up our molds!

Ah, but all is not lost. We have some doors opening that could make things very interesting. Stay tuned.
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Re: New Modular Kit Camper Design

Postby hoppinglark » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Any progress?
"There is no red carpet between you and your goal!"- Gilad Janklowicz
hoppinglark
Teardrop Inspector

Postby IndyTom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:58 pm

I just checked the company website and it seems they are looking for a "Investor, Partner, Buyer". It is too bad that they have not had better luck. It really is a very good idea.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Larry Drake » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Ever see the movie, "The Princess Bride"? My girls were raised on it. Anyway, the apparently dead hero is taken to a wizard, Billy Crystal, who declares the hero "only mostly dead, which means he is partly alive." The Teal Camper is still partly alive. There are a number of exciting possibilities in the works. The challenge is to make one or more of these things happen.

Of course, if anyone out there is interested in getting into the small camper and shelter market with us, we are open to opportunity. Our situation isn't for lack of interest in our product. The interest has been, and still is, amazing. Our problem is one of startup finances and facilities. We have spent our wad on getting this far. Now we need a boost to get us into the market.

Oh by the way, the wizard gave the "mostly dead" hero a pill that revived him and he went on to win the day and his love. :applause:
Larry Drake
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Hey, as long as you are not required to be kissing frogs to make a prince, things ain't so bad.....
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mezmo » Sat May 05, 2012 9:45 pm

Here's a link to a recent Gizmag post on the Teal Camper. It
has some nice pics and a little more info.

http://www.gizmag.com/teal-camper-like-a-puzzle/22329/

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs