My Build Thread - Introducing the Bungalette!!

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

My Build Thread - Introducing the Bungalette!!

Postby IndyTom » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Four years ago when I started my crazy camper-building adventure, I didn't actually start a build thread, so I guess, here goes. Here are the drawings from turbocad of my project.

There are pictures in my album of the frame construction and even of the finished frame with wheels on, about to go for a road test. There were some more construction done but I must have lost those pictures in a hard drive crash since I cannot find them. Right now, I do not want to take any pics, because I am still digging out 4 years of the unfinished trailer being use as a convenient storage space. As soon as that digging is finished, I will get pics posted of the current state of affairs.
Last edited by IndyTom on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Name

Postby Jeffmo63 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:51 am

Beautiful work so far! As for a name, how about "The Jellybean." That way if you wanted to paint her you could chose any color.
Jeffmo63
Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:50 pm

OK, lets try this on more time. I visited the RV/Motor Home Hall of Fame in Elkhart, IN a few weeks ago and got really wound up to get back to work on our TTT and get it ready to camp. Then Bobhenry caught me lurking around the forum the other day so I guess I am outted. Since I last worked on the camper, I have decided that I wanted to make some changes to the interior, so I am playing with those in Turbocad while I am working my way through the honey-do list so I can have the time to work on it. And at this point, I think if I don't finish it this time, Bob is going to come and kick my butt.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:05 am

I met Mr. "Overplanner"in the Spring of 08. I won a door prize of a 12 volt dome light at our gathering giveaway. I donated it to Tom for his "soon" to be built trailer......

Enough planning already Tommy let's see some saw dust ! :roll:

O.K. you know I'm just razzin' ya !!

But seriously I get over to Carmel once in a while to stop by Scuba's place, so if ya get stuck or just want some moral support just holler' :thumbsup:

Bob
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:44 pm

It took me 5 years to get mine done. I worked on it between honey does. I still have a long list of need to does. I also can run away in the trailer.

I had lots of things get in my way including my mothers death. You have to have time to your self and it sounds like the trailer is it. You will always have a list married or not. But you also want to have fun.

So what is your next step?? :thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:38 pm

OK, I know I have been talking about this build for a long time, and I am pretty sure that some of you (BobHenry) don't even believe a trailer exists, but my oldest and I spent the weekend removing 5 years of neglect from the camper today and to prove it exists, here is a pic of if sitting in the driveway while we were cleaning behind it.

Yes I know it is big, but it is not a standy, it will be a slouchy, well at least for me. If I put in the drop floor that I am considering, then it will be a standy for at least the wife and kids. There is much work to be done, and I will be posting all the progress in this thread. Oh, and I think I have settled on a name, I was watching the Long, Long Trailer the other night, and I had never noticed before that the first trailer that Lucy and Desi looked at was called the Bungalette. It fits our build perfectly, so it has stuck. The Bungalette it is.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :thumbsup: :shock: :D :) :o :o :twisted:

IT REALLY DOES EXIST !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby aggie79 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:07 am

:applause: :thumbsup: :applause:

It's alive...and looking good.

Tom - Must be something about the name Tom that causes a long build. I messed around for a year on design and then took 3 years to build our teardrop.

Full steam ahead...don't slow down now.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:59 am

The Bungalette is going to be massive!! Like the profile! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby crumbruiser » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:40 pm

I like the profile, and the wheels. Good work! :thumbsup:
Frank
I am not weird, I am a Limited Edition.
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000303236631
crumbruiser
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyTom » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:15 pm

OK, well, the sidewalls at this point are just 1/4" skins that still need to have the framing applied to the inside. I don't remember who did it the same way, but the framing will form a ledge that headliner will lay on, then the rafters will be laid over top of that, and then the roof last. I don't have my windows and doors cut out yet because I am still not sure where they are going and what they will look like. I think before I cut the holes for the windows, I will make sure I have them in hand. And I will build the framing on the inside of the wall first, before cutting the hole in the skin. There is also the insulation, and wiring to run through the walls before they are closed up.

For the inner wall, Menards has a 3/8th" knotty pine paneling that reminds me of what we had in our house when I was growing up, and I think that I will use that with a clear finish. The inner layout will be very similar to the Campster. I don't know if I saw the campster before I decided to build that way or not. If not, then that just proves that great minds think alike. There is much to do, and work is killing me right now, but I am really going to try to get it campable before the spring gathering. It may be un-painted, hatchless, and with temporary tail lights, but I am going to try to have it there.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Verna » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:32 pm

WOW, it isn't a dream--it's real!!!!!

Tom, hollar if you need help or to borrow tools. After the Super Bowl this Southsider will be able to get up to the northside again.

Verna
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Re: My Build Thread - Introducing the Bungalette!!

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:47 pm

OK, I am not completely starting over, but the design is very different from my OP. The family has lost interest in camping for the most part, so now the camper is mainly for me. A built in queen sized bed over the wheel wells. large cargo space under the bed that I plan to use for the fresh water tank, batteries, converter and distribution panel. Properly divided up of course. Over the weekend I very nearly finished the framing work, now its time to start installing electrical, and start working on that big cargo bay. Phone went dead before i finished, so no pics tonight, but tomorrow night for sure. It's kind of scary, this project has been going on for so long, and framing is all I have had to think about for all that time, Now I have to start a completely different phase of the build, new things to think about, new problems to solve. But I'm looking forward to it.

Tom

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:51 pm

Progress so far:
[img]146674[/img]
Completed framing on the passenger side
[img]146673[/img]
Completed framing on the drivers side
[img]146672[/img]
How I am framing my windows
[img]146671[/img]
Kerfing plywood for bending.

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 am

The work continues. Most of the AC wiring is in place. Now for the DC and the cable for the TV antenna. Image

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

IndyTom
500 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs