Foward galley instead of rear hatch possible?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Foward galley instead of rear hatch possible?

Postby LanM » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 am

I'm still in the planning stage, and have been reading a great deal of cool and useful info. I'm leaning towards a non traditional design using a suv shell as a donor. 5x10 is my desired dimensions, with 8' being the camper, then a 2 foot storage box for tools and gear separate from the camper itself. here's a pic of a similar build by a fella in Australia. I'm in NY.

If I use the tub, I'd have a waterproof door and hatch setup, and if I could put the galley in the forward section I could use one of those suv rear hatch tents and really increase my space

I'm thinking my tongue weight may be way too high if I do this though. I'm thinking of a door on each side (in front of the suv doors-where you see the solid panel in the example pic), one with a slide out galley setup, the other side would be a holding area for a composting toilet/ propane shower, and be able to hold the a/c. Would all that stuff up front coupled with my desire for a large storage box with all my gear put way too much weight on the tongue?

I can deal with a traditional rear galley but really like the idea of the added space the suv tent would offer attached to the rear=less need for a/c I'm sure. Input is appreciated. Thanks!
LanM
Teardrop Inspector

My project

Postby psu9395 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:29 pm

LanM I saw your picture and I guess its time to post my project. I have been reading this forum for about 6 months as I worked on this build. I started with a 1986 minivan and cut off the cab. I added on to have a full length bed and a bunk inside. A galley kitchen is under the hatch in back. The inside is done and waiting paint and flooring while I mess with the many issues of body work. With inside cabinets and wiring, outlets charger, and so on the weight is just under 1000lbs. The design fits snugly behind my vehicle to reduce drag. The galley also has the bulk of the weight which allows me to have a very low tongue weight. I have not checked it yet, but I can still pick the trailer up in the front and easily push it around to work on it. I promise more pics in the future. I will put them in my album.
Jared

Image[/img]
psu9395
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bobjr59 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:27 pm

I'm :thinking: some :pictures: of the inside would be nice
Bobjr59
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cooterdude » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:53 am

meby you could come up with some kind of removable toung for towing
then when you get to your campsite you could remove the toung and pop up the galley you could use recevier hitches and pins to secure for the road and kick it under the trailer while you camp :thinking:
cooterdude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:29 am

Jared, that's really interesting work you've done - you really should start a new thread with a relevant title so that folks interested in doing the same will find your photos easily.

And the $64,000 question that we're all waiting to hear the answer to is: how much does it weigh? I do hope you'll stop by a truck scale sometime when it's done and find out.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:00 am

Warpony did a Jim Dandy with the tongue removable and a galley up front. Really nice! I love the use of the old van body. Good job recycling! Can't wait for the inside pictures! :thumbsup:

Jim Dandy pictures mixed in here.
http://tnttt.com/album_ ... &start=168
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Return to Non-traditional Designs