Explorer Box/Pod build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby abqlloyd » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:40 pm

Maybe something like this:

It would probably be better to mount it above the water tank, which is is slated to site between the wheel wells. This would keep the space in back and front open for storage.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby abqlloyd » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 pm

I haven't posted in a bit, and got ahead of myself there.

I've gone back and forth on design options. Meanwhile, I search Craigslist on a regular basis for parts. I've assembled a pretty good arsenal, and my wife is getting anxious for me to start doing something with them.

I priced the rooftop tents, and while they are pricey, you are high and dry, and the overall simplicity is hard to beat. My wife has suggested spending $1000 or so on a good canvas wall tent. Use the EXB as a hauler for it and the supplies. I got excited about that and started looking at hybrids, which combine a wall tent and bed on the top.

I like the idea of more space, but I also like the idea of permanent mattress off the ground.

If I went for a separate wall tent, I could easily run duct work from the heater into the wall tent without an issue, and it would avoid combustion or CO issues. Setup becomes a challenge.

My buddy had a nice wall tent we used for hunting years ago, and he had a nice portable wood stove. The downside was that it took up valuable floor space, made a lot of smoke, and we had to carry wood. Also an issue with all the fire restrictions these days.

I'd like to hear your thoughts.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:30 pm

Hmmm, a big wall tent, IMHO too much work unless you plan on being there for a while. I maybe a little bias :D

On the heater front, a Heatsource HS200 by ProPex is a prefect size for a folding tent unit. They are available from a few sources in the US and easy to duct an inlet and outlet to the hinge flaps that many tent units have.

The Suburban units are way to many btu's of a small tent.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby abqlloyd » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Thanks. I think I saw one of those at a VW rally here a few years ago. Any idea the BTU output? All the specs I could find are in KwH. 2.8KW output is about 10,000BTU if I remember my conversion math? I did note they use one full amp less than 16K BTU Suburban/Atwood heaters. The smallest Suburban is 16K BTU, and pulls 2.8 amps.

I'm with ya' on the wall tent. The original goal was a simple, quick solution. At least 75% of the time, it is me and my son anyway. I have a nice inverter generator, and could always go with the electric heater as needed. Heat the tent up before bed, and start it up if it gets really cold.

If it was just me, I might just spring for some really nice -35F bags and an insulated mattress. That would cover 95% of my camping.

It is time to quit talking and start doing...
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:39 am

Specs from Adventure Trailers site:
Heat Output: 6483 BTU per hour
Current Consumption: 1.4 amps during fan usage
Air Flow: 60 C.F.M.
Propane consumption: 3.2 hours on 1 lb. of propane.

Yes, sleeping bags that are rated for the weather you are camping in makes a big difference.

Ok, time for some build progress pictures :D
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby abqlloyd » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:24 pm

I now have a welder, so a frame is in the works. My buddy suggests steel instead of wood. I found a supply of 16g plate in big sheets. It's painted ugly on one side, but primer on the other. It seems too heavy to me. Any advice? I noticed you built an aluminum box. I'm all about cheap or free.
abqlloyd
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Like everything it's about trade-offs, steel = more weight, but if you can get the material for free :thinking: Yes I've done some aluminum boxes, lightweigh but pricey.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs