Modified Grasshopper, more diamond plate

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby MKE_Tear » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

tearhead wrote:Whoa, this is gorgeous! I just caught up with your build posts. Sounds like you like your aluthane only to a point!

You have a beautiful camper! Any chance you'll bring it to Cooler Near the Lake in April? Looks like your wife has caught the bug too, lucky for you! It would be great to meet both of you and see your masterpiece.

Thanks!!!

No...I DO like the aluthane. It's just that I haven't tried it...err...it hasn't been tested in the elements so I still don't have any "real life" experience yet. It's not a "hard" surface like fiberglass, but I have no doubt that it will be fine.

Cooler Near the Lake? I'm not familiar with that. Sounds like it would be fun. Any place where I can find some info?
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby tearhead » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:29 pm

Cooler Near the Lake V is a gathering of the Wisconsin forum members at Kohler-Andrae State Park the last weekend of April. Info's in the Gatherings area, the Midwest section, in a "stickie" (see link below). We went last year for the first time and really had a great time. It's a welcoming group! Even if you just came up for the day on Saturday, you could tour the other campers and also show us your progress. Last year there were quite a few different types of campers, and I'd say maybe half were homebuilt. Here's the link:

http://mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

You might get a few ideas about customizing, final touches, etc. Might be the perfect time to go, before you get it all done.
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:25 am

your build looks really good I like the tiles good job and from what I've read about that aluthane your trailer should be able to withstand all kinds of weather conditions
keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby MKE_Tear » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:42 pm

Really nothing new but just wanted to post a picture from the big blizzard that blanketed so many states not to long ago.

You may think, "Hey, that's not much."

Well...that is a 12' tall structure in the picture, and that's my car in the bottom right.

We got 20 inches of snow from that, and then 24 hours of drifting. So there's another somewhere around one-third or so of that canopy that is covered/buried by the snow.

The six foot drift in front meant I didn't check on the camper for a while.
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby jtsarby » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Any updates? I am building my weekender right now. I am going to use Aluthane as well. What did you use to fill the nail holes with?
jtsarby
Teardrop Builder

Postby MKE_Tear » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:17 pm

jtsarby wrote:Any updates? I am building my weekender right now. I am going to use Aluthane as well. What did you use to fill the nail holes with?

Sorry, no updates yet. Getting the itch to work on it, although we're getting a nasty, rainy sleet as I type this.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I filled the nail holes with Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler (Interior/Exterior). It's paintable/sandable.

Best of luck to you!!!
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby MKE_Tear » Sat May 07, 2011 12:19 am

Alright, so I'm finally back to doing some things. I haven't completely gotten the bug yet so I have been doing mostly cosmetic things right now.

First things first, it held up well (great!) during winter and needed to be undone/unwrapped.

Wrapped up with a cover, underneath the Big Top...

Stretch-wrap was used to secure the partially done hatch to the body...

So here's the first accomplishment for 2011, the back window is secured (permanently). I had to get the corner pieces (of the tile wall) for the oval hole in first, then screw it in...

Next came making it more comfortable getting in & out of. So I got a 1/2" insulation wrap used for water pipes to put on the edge of the metal door frame. Here are the before & after shots...

The doors don't close as easily, since it is a bit tighter, but they close with no problems.

One of the big "comfort" issues with getting in & out was also the height of my mattresses. (They came up to the height of the door frame. The duvet & blanket don't show it as well in the previous photos.) So I added a nice mattress topper which not only gave the (higher) height for getting in & out (so you don't run into the door frame) but it also gave a nicer feel to the mattress.

You can see the "height" here.

And lastly, here are a few close-up shots of the insulation tube. And by removing the tape, I was actually able to use the sticky parts to adhere to the frame...

MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby MKE_Tear » Mon May 23, 2011 7:50 pm

So, it has been a crazy Spring. Spring was here for a few days then left but now it looks like it is back. In the meantime...I've sold a vehicle, bought a vehicle and bought a vacuum cleaner (that might have been the hardest thing to do -- ha!). It's been difficult to get back into the swing of things with the camper, so I have done a few cosmetic things.

A little interior decorating...

Lights went in under the shelf as well as clothes hanging knobs (the big kind -- so they don't leave "dents" in your clothes) and I framed the black mirror. It just looked too much like the window above it (to stay black).

Sorry I don't have any good pictures with the curtains up (that'll be later).

And you can see the "under the shelf" lights lit up @ night. They look really good in-person. (The other clothes hanging knobs (left of mirror) will go in.)

I also got around to putting some stabilizer jacks in the back.

I ordered stainless diamond plate to go on the bottom of each side wall (to dress up the outside). I'm hoping it gets here by the end of the week.

And lastly, I installed a hitch on that "new" vehicle. When seeing the camper hooked up to the tow vehicle...I then became motivated to really finishing that galley hatch and launching the maiden voyage.

Now I can see it!!
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby parnold » Tue May 24, 2011 7:33 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There's little you can do to resist the camping fever once it hits. Take two aspirin and go camping!
parnold
Donating Member

Postby tearhead » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Good going! I love how much window you were able to work in!
Pat from Wisconsin
tearhead
Platinum Donating Member

Postby MKE_Tear » Thu May 26, 2011 7:52 am

Paul: Boy, I hear ya! Since it's not quite road-ready, I find myself just going in it and laying down with a book in the evenings and weekends. 8)

Pat: Thanks!! How was Cooler Near the Lake? I'm sorry we weren't able to go -- a family event got in the way.

----------

I forgot to mention in my list of "things getting in the way this Spring" that we took down the "Big Top" -- the big storage shed we put up in the backyard for winter. It held up great but unfortunately stayed up just a week or so too long (it killed all the grass under it -- we had expected that though). The weekend we had planned to take it down it was WAY too windy to do, much like today's weather (25+ mph wind gusts).
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby MKE_Tear » Tue May 31, 2011 6:40 pm

So I bought an airplane air conditioner (portable) to cool the camper...

You can find a similar product and read up on how they work (watch a nice "demo" video) by clicking here:

http://www.arcticaircooler.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPEpTABfFEE

This is the unit I purchased, photos below (half the price of the one listed above):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0645507930

Inside, looking at the pump
:

It is a 44 quart cooler that is 22" wide x 16" high x 14" deep, and is 29" tall when counting the venting tube.

NOW FOR THE TEST:

After sitting in the sun @ 93 degrees, I put in the air conditioner. Inside (the reading from an inside/out thermometer said) it was at 99.4-100.6. Let's call it 100.

In 30 minutes, it went to 89.8 to 90.6. Let's call it 90.

HOWEVER, IT FELT LIKE IT WAS MORE IN THE LOW 80'S, MAYBE HIGH 70'S (and the humidity was gone)...the only way I can equate how it felt different than what it was would be like when you turn your heat back on on a cold day, lets's say a cold snap comes back in Spring and you forget to turn your furnace back on. You may have come back to your house after work to find it 61, it hits 64 and feels really warm, yet it still will go to 67 (or whatever you set it at) before turning itself off and you wonder why you really need it set THAT much higher when 64 feels great. (I really hope that made sense. Someone with a thermo dynamics or HVAC background can explain that better.)

At 35 minutes, I hopped in (& stayed in) for 10 minutes. It went from 88.3 to 86.7.

At 45 minutes, I turned it off.

So, in my opinion, it worked!!

------------------

This is not to be confused with a swamp cooler, or blowing air over ice.

Would a 5,000 BTU home window air conditioner or Pet Cool be more effective/faster? YES. (And obviously the window unit would be cheaper, than the airplane unit or Pet Cool. A Pet Cool, if you can find them, are around $500.)

But I chose to build my camper differently:

1) I chose not to wire my camper (based on speed in finishing it & my knowledge/abilities).

2) I did not want to a) cut a hole in my sidewall (damage integrity/provide entry-way for water or water derioration); b) take away from valuable storage space in the galley; and c) place it in the front wall bec. I did not want it to drop cold air on our heads nor wanted to hinder the light/view from the big window there.

This is to be a temporary unit and used only when needed. We don't typically have the heat of the West or Southest, or humidity you can find in other parts of the country.

------------------

The size is incredibly deceiving as to how much ice you can get inside the cooler. (When you look at a cooler just as a storage vessel for ice, things change.) I purchased a small bag of ice, for the test, and then added all of the ice from our freezeer, and could have easily purchased at least one more small bag of ice. Or maybe started with a big bag and added/gone from there.

------------------

I've seen people hang window units off of their trailer doors so that it falls in line with the window on the door (but I want to still be able to use both doors at any time), some others would leave air conditioners on the ground and just vent the cold air through a ducted tube through a door window, while others would cut holes in the walls for return ducting with dryer hoses dropping the cold air in from above (through the roof vent), and others just used AWESOME ways of incorporating a standard window unit. While not knocking those, bec.whatever you prefer and how it works, it is up to you. I just chose this way to cool down my camper, and wanted to share it with others here.

You can buy ice from a lot of locations, and while most of the camp sites we will use will probably have electricity (I can purchase a 12v to 110 converter plug), if not, I can hook it up to our car and run it for an hour or so (or as needed) to cool things off. In my long-term plans I would like to add a deep cycle battery and run it off of that, but again that is in the (distant) offing.

For me, this is a simple solution when needed. Hope it helps. ;-)
MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby MKE_Tear » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

It's hard to imagine the strange weather we've been having. Just a few days ago, it was this:

and as I type this, it's almost half that in a misty, foggy 52 degrees.

So, I've added some more diamond plate (down the sides)...

MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby MKE_Tear » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:36 pm

The rest of the diamond plate shots...

MKE_Tear
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:48 pm

I love the details on the your teardrop - the diamond plate, galley window, and glass tile!

In fact, after seeing your glass tile, we have decided to do our galley counter with it.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs