Design flaw

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Design flaw

Postby Shrug53 » Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:27 am

OK, I thought I had my lift-top tear all figured out but I just realized I had a design flaw.
The lift up part will be slightly larger than the tear body and fit over it like a lid. It will lift up to provide more head room. To save weight and to be able to access the galley area even when the top is down I have a slot cut in the back which will lower in to the tear body. If you look at the photos below though you will notice the from the rear view I have about a half inch gap on either side that will be exposed. In other words you will be able to look out from the inside.
I have been trying to think of way to resolve this. I could have rubber 'plugs' that I insert after raising the top. or maybe that brush stuff like on car windows, or maybe little sliding slats that I can close.

Any ideas on how to fix this??

Many thanks!
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Patio Door Approach

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:00 pm

My sliding screen door on my patio has a rubber flap that slides along the stationary glass door. It's designed so that is flaps whichever way is needed while it's sliding.

Could you use a similar material on the upper edge of your stationary body? The lift top would slide smoothly against the seal to keep wind, bugs, etc. out.

Other materials might work, like carpet or foam rubber.
Good luck.

Return to Non-traditional Designs