Off Road, Front Galley, Pop Top

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Off Road, Front Galley, Pop Top

Postby oldtamiyaphile » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:46 am

After going around in circles planing a built for the last year, I THINK I have something I like.

My criteria are quite numerous, so I've done my best to address as many as I can.

Basically, it's a one man trailer, with internal storage for an expensive MTB, the bike will sleep outside locked to the A-frame on nice days but comes inside if it's raining. It's to be as wide as my Jeep, or 4.5', clearances, track and height are all designed to likewise match. I've gone with a 9' long box, which is the minimum space i could get it all into.

It still has a rear hatch for bike loading, and alternative use as a miscellaneous toy hauler. The bed will fold in the middle to make a double sides fore/aft facing seat for daytime use. The rear storage box is an attempt to keep the tongue weight down, at the moment I think it will balance OK, but the axle is in the centre of the box in the drawings, which means the side access door is further forward than ideal.

It won't be especially easy to get in and out, but I'm not overly concerned about that. The pop top will be hard sided, which I think will not be too hard to make water tight. Headroom is about 6'1" at the front of the drop floor.

So what do we think, do I have a workable design here?

oldtamiyaphile
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 am

I am sure others will chime in but wheel placement will likely need o be further back for towability reasons (there is a formula for that.
Looks like a well thought out design for a particular purpose, I will be interested in seeing the build :)
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby deepmud » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:57 am

More room over the tire for travel? Looks cool.
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TBuilder » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Wow, it's amazing how close this is to what I want!
The only difference is that I'd have to put 4+ bikes. I wanted to make it 5' tall because 2 of the bikes are so tall.
TBuilder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Bikerman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:14 pm

Well, me too, but I want a motor on my bike....LOL

I'm still lost with all this, but I'm trying to think of a way to have an open isle with a rear door (hatch) and put the motorcycle inside between two cabinets for stoarge. A slide out support would take up the isle space and the bunk would be over the cabinets and slide out support. That means the galley has to go up front. Possible a slide out. Just thinking, if anyone has ideas for both of us, LOL, don't mean to hijack the thread....
Bikerman
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Non-traditional Designs