Dual Hatches, one in the front.

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Dual Hatches, one in the front.

Postby Forrest Ebbs » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:26 pm

Has anyone considered a dual hatch setup, where the front radius opens just like the rear. Granted, the radius is smaller, so the overhang would be less (unless you carry the hatch all the way down). Also, you are asking for water intrusion across the front. The ute trailer I'll be using has a detachable tongue, so access to the front could be convenient. Or, a flipdown bed surface could be made. Just a thought.
Forrest Ebbs

Postby Shrug53 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:42 pm

Are you talking about opening it up or down? If it was down I could see it extending in to the bed of a truck, or having canvas attached (kind of like my fold down wall design).
If it is up, I do not really understand what benefit it would be. You woud still have the tongue of the trailer itself in the way.
If you need to sleep more than two you could make the trailer 6.5' wide and 10' long. Then you could fit a queen size mattress in sideways, and a fold down twin size bunk as well, and still have room for your galley.
Let me know what you are trying to do and what the maximum bed size you would like is, and I will try to draw up a concept to fit your needs.

-=Tony=-
"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby Nick Taylor » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:35 pm

How about this?

Nick.
Nick Taylor
The 300 Club

Postby Green Horn » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:49 pm

And what a deal the plans are only $1.00...lol

John In Bama
Green Horn
Teardrop Builder

Postby DANL » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:48 am

Hi Forrest,

From the picture at left you can see that I do have a hatch in the front and the rear. My front hatch will be mainly for big ventilation with a possible pass-through if needed.

The potential problem with using both front and rear hatches that I discovered is the virtual loss of all diagonal rigidity. In a single hatch tear, the galley wall and the front wall create the rigidity of a box. With a two hatch setup, all strength must stem from the galley wall and whatever small portion of front wall you have. I found that the front opening would flex diagonally just like a floppy parallelogram.

Since I am using mine for a screen window and don't need to have access through it, my solution is to use aluminum diagonal braces in the opening--not as elegant a solution as I could have wished for but it will have to do. Also, my galley wall is built like a battleship. First tests seem to indicate that this will work ok.

A possible solution for two full height hatches might be to incorporate a steel or aluminum "roll cage" concept. Starts to move some weight higher in the trailer though.

Have fun...
The tiny trailer in the avatar is designed to carry our recumbents and sometimes sleep in. We LOVE having a kitchen in the woods and a place for most of our gear.
Dan Jones http://sunsetlanding.com/teardrop/teardrop_intro.html
DANL
Donating Member

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:40 am

I would like to try this but I am going to build a grass hopper and I dont think it would work out right.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:44 am

I would like to try this but I am going to build a grass hopper and I dont think it would work out right.
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs