Explorer Box Tent Topped Camping Trailer Variation

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Explorer Box Tent Topped Camping Trailer Variation

Postby schaney » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Here is a variation of the Explorer Box Camping Trailer. It retains the basic Explorer Box elements of chuckbox style front galley area, front cooler deck, large general rear storage compartment and rapid open sleeping quarters. This Explorer Box example shows how with a few easy changes you can tailor one to meet your specific needs.

There were a few objectives for this variation;
Refine mounting of a MOAB tent unit
Improve galley access
Improve flexibility on tire size and axle position
Scale down the overall size some.

Normally to provide room for attaching the tent body and travel cover without affecting the compartment doors you add a few inches of height. Because I wanted to scale down the size some, I took a different approach. The box size was reduce 4â€
Last edited by schaney on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby deepmud » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:22 pm

That's sweet little trailer. It looks so well thought out.

Where does the plastic table go when put away?
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Franklin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:34 am

Great photos! We just ordered the CD from Camping Concepts. For a couple years, we have been looking at this website but with poor skills/unique needs, we just never got started with anything. I am so tired of all the camping stuff inside the house! We never get a level campsite and the last time we went to Disney, the tent hadn't been out for awhile and the seam leaked during unseasonal rainfall and lower than normal temps! So, with 3 adults, we are trying to work out exactly what configuration we can use. They do sell a family tent so that part is a done deal. I can't wait to show this to my husband when he gets home from work! Thanks! Cathy
Franklin
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:19 am

Deepmud, Thanks ... there is just enought room for the table on top of the storage containers in the back. It could also go behind the cooler on the front deck pretty easy.

Franklin, Yes getting your camping Up off the ground makes it more enjoyable. Our larger size family tent is almost 6' wide and provides space for three adults.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:41 am

Schaney , you've outdone yourself again !!! Very COOL !!! 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby schaney » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 am

Thanks GPW ...
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 am

It always amazes me you can get so much out of so little a rig ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:22 am

That little thing is awesome!!
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks ...

Actually, when I take a trailer, it feels like I have tons of extra space compared car camping out of the Sidekick :D

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:05 pm

Scott,

Why do you have the main access door on the front instead of the back on your Explorer Box?

Thanks,
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Jim,

I did it on the front to maximize counter/workspace around the galley with the front deck and a side table. Also if the bulk storage area was on the front, it's wouldn't be as easy to access your gear. The front galley area is about 16" deep and the rear bulk compartment is about 3' deep.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:58 am

Here is the Explorer Box variation shared earlier with a re-designed MOAB DIY Tent Unit on it.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby deepmud » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:40 pm

schaney wrote:Jim,

I did it on the front to maximize counter/workspace around the galley with the front deck and a side table. Also if the bulk storage area was on the front, it's wouldn't be as easy to access your gear. The front galley area is about 16" deep and the rear bulk compartment is about 3' deep.

Ha! I re-read this again with your new update on the tent - and finally get it.

You put the 3' deep compartment on the back so that large bulky items could be loaded from the rear, avoiding the hindrance of vehicle and tongue jack.

When I first read it, I just missed that entirely. I was like"yeah, so put the kitchen on the back like most trailers and then you can access your gear from the front". Perhaps because I accidentally built my own trailer with rear cargo access and a side kitchen, so had always had easy cargo loading.
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Postby schaney » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:43 am

One of the nice things about building your own trailer is you can put the kitchen on the rear or front, what ever works for you. I prefer the front.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby deepmud » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:49 am

I just wanted to point out that it didn't make it thru my thick skull that you chose the front for the kitchen based on experience and use - not just arbitrarily choosing it :lol: I was hoping that bringing up my confusion might clear it up for anyone as slow as I was :oops: .

I think if I had looked online before I built mine, I would have put the kitchen in the back - just because so many seem to be built that way - yet one of the main purposes of my trailer is to carry stuff, even when not camping. However, seeing yours (and cogitating for a year ) I finally see that if you want to easily load stuff in the trailer, perhaps you should make the biggest compartment the most accessible - that is, put the door on the rear. I know you explained it the first time, but not clear enough for someone like me I guess :?

Anyway - love your trailers, that you support both DIY and fully built trailers. :thumbsup: This one is well thought out.
deepmud
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs