Cabin Car 2

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Cabin Car 2

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:15 am

OK, here is my second design for the cabin car inspired shape. This one is a completely self contained unit (kitchen and bathroom inside).
It contains a dinette for 4 which converts to a queen sized bed. A full height kitchen counter with sink, electric cooler and lots and lots of cabinet space!
It has a water closet (uses a portable toilet to eliminate the need for a black water tank).
Dual deep cycle batteries, power inverter, A/C, fresh and grey water tanks, and even a doggy door leading out to a pet patio (because my odd little dogs will actually use a cat box filled with cedar bedding), so I do not have to worry about the puppies needing to go in the middle of the night.

The over head cabinets over the bed will contain an LCD screen and DVD player as well as a standard car stereo (actually the car stereo is an all in one unit which also plays dvds) and plenty of storage space. There will also be two small cabin lights so that one person can read without distrubing the other. The pull-out drawers will be more narrow than shown in the drawing to make room for the wheel wells.

Here are the drawings:

"Better living through reckless experimentation"
http://www.forgottenclassics.com
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:57 am

I see many similarities between your design and this one...

You've designed yourself a T@B there, with the inside kitchen and wrap around dinette. Are you sure you want the porta potty in there, in such small quarters? You might want to add a second ceiling vent in the bathroom to suck out the odors before you open the door! :roll:

Of course, you really should mock it up full size...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:32 pm

Gee, I guess it is a little like a tab (still going to be a woody though)
I had given though to the bathroom too. There will be room for an actual door (probably something very light framed with 1x1 stock and skinned with 1/8" plywood), so that will close it off nicely. I will also add a small computer fan to the bathroom wall with its own swtich. My own bathroom vent!
Overall I think I did pretty well squeezing all that in to a 6.5' x 10' floor plan.

I am going to use the lightest materials possible (especially on the frame) and might even go for aluminum rims. I should be able to keep the total weight of this unit under 1000# which means even my GrandAm will tow it.

Odd thing, my Chevy is only a 235c.i. straight six, but it is really built for towing, with a heavy duty clutch and 3.70 rear end gears. These old cars were really built with the working man in mind!
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:42 pm

I wish I could build a trailer that big but we only have a 2 wheel drive blazer :( .
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Postby Shrug53 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:49 pm

I am going to be pulling it with a 1953 Chevy with a 235 straight 6.
According to a guy in my car club who used to be an engineer for GM my car, stock, will tow 3000 lbs, and with heavy duty suspension (truck springs or airbags) can pull 3500 lbs.
The limit on my GrandAm is 1120lbs. A blazer should be able to handle it with no problem.
Shrug53
500 Club

Postby tdthinker » Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:50 pm

thanks shrug
Ryan
tdthinker
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs