Dropped floor??

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Dropped floor??

Postby CanuckShooter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 pm

I am new to the site...spending alot of time checking out all the ideas!!

I used to own a 8' Okanagon slide in truck camper...and now own a commercial travel trailer...and am starting to lean towards a DYI build for a camper rig of my own design.

That old camper was 12.5 feet overall and I always thought the same layout would work great in a pull behind trailer, expecially if you could drop the floor somehow to maintain headroom while parked?? It would also allow you to have more headroom over the bed.

Has anyone ever toyed with this idea? I have seen pop tops, slide ups and outs...
CanuckShooter
Teardrop Master

Postby droid_ca » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 pm

I'e been toyin with that idea as well and what I came up with is as follows have your curb side and drives side hinged so that the fold inside of the trailer wall side up now take the front and hing it to the bottom and have that hinged to the back piece so when it leand forward the extra goes under the tongue of the trailer for safety sake I'd instal a padlock of some sort to prevent it from moving while your towing .
so pull in drop your frame jacks raise unlock padlock rotate into the down position go inside and realise the two sides the sit back relax camp and enjoy

sorry this is so long I needed to write it out for myself as well
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Canuck, drop floors are not uncommon to see in older tiny trailers, especially Serro Scottys. Many builders here have incorporated various versions into their new builds too. Do a search and you'll find references to many. It is a great way to add space and still keep the overall height under control. Welcome to T&TTT!
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby J.Heyboer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Here is a picture of my drop floor, it added another 6" of standing room in the entry area of my trailer.

It was pretty easy to do, although I did re-enforce my trailer underneath the drop floor with some angle iron.

John
J.Heyboer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Here's an example of a Harbor Freight Trailer that has a drop floor framed in bed frame angle iron, all bolted together, with no welds. It has had about 500# of weight in it at one time without a problem.

Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs