Newbie with concept...looking for feedback...

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Newbie with concept...looking for feedback...

Postby C-Dude » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Hey gang,

here's the scoop... I've got concept stuck in my head for building a pet/cargo/camping teardrop to pull behind my Goldwing motorcycle. I have seen several home-builds that started with similar plans to those found here and then the tech help drifts away... Anyhow, we have a 130# and a 80ish# pair of goldens that we want to bring with us on m/c trips (wife's idea of camping is Red Roof Inn) and/or for me to camp in on solo trips.

Anyhow, my thoughts are to start with a teardrop in reverse - ie smaller radius to the front, larger to the back, with a flatter slope to an overall ground to top of roof height of not more than say 42-44". I'd like to mount Plexi solar domes (similar to the playground equipment domes) for the girls to be able to view forward, side slid window and a large rear window on a rear hatch/door. From what I've read, I am seriously considering a thinner composite/sandwich wall/roof system using aluminum square tubing instead of wood and either west systems expoy or gel coating the interior and exterior.

I've got the ventilation down from the RV/Toy Hauler markets, along with a 12v A/C system (adapted from a marine system that was on the market a while back). My base is my heavy duty flat bed trailer (deck area is 42x60) that was formally a jon-boat trailer (galvanized and 1500# axle/springs) - as seen here....

So, other than the dimensional changes, any proof of concept problems that you can think of? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim :thinking:
C-Dude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby B52 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

Hey, Jim Dude, Welcome! The concept sounds good, but that seems to be a pretty hefty platform to start a motercycle trailer from. Add a couple hundred pounds of Golden and you're liable to get pretty heavy real quick! Just my thoughts. YMMV :D
Jim

Stumble through life; fat, dumb and happy!!
B52
Teardrop Master

Postby C-Dude » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 am

Thought of that before, that's why the trailer weighs in at roughly 140# as she sits. Have towed her behind a 1300cc vtwin loaded with a weeks worth of luggage (wife does not know the meaning of the phrase "pack lite") and didn't even know it was back there - those 12" wheels and moving the axle forward make it a dream to tow.

I'm guestimating that the sidewalls, roof, enlarged deck framework and other gear will add about 150-200#'s max using the aluminum tubing and laun sandwich walls. West Systems makes an ultra-lite fairing compound for the filler so I'm not expecting much if any weight gain from that process. Then again, I could just be missing something....

Thanks for the input, I'll rework the numbers just to be sure....
C-Dude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby droid_ca » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:00 pm

That sounds cool
would you be sleeping in it?
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby C-Dude » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:14 pm

I see myself using it on a rare occassion, but with roughly 6' x38"wx39"h it should be pretty comfy for a single campout. My wife's idea of camping is a Holiday Inn w/o an indoor pool or some of the Rally hotels we've been to.

droid_ca wrote:That sounds cool
would you be sleeping in it?
C-Dude
Teardrop Inspector

Postby john » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:03 pm

What weights do guys shoot for when towing with a bike?
Build I -- Scenic ---
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8121727@N04/
Goto the Tear Build file

Build II -- Scenic II ---
viewtopic.php?t=29603

Build III -- Scenic Solo---
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50324

Travel Blog----Now without Political Commentary
http://polifrogblog.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -2009.html

The Constitution was ratified, not an interpretation thereof...

Penomeli ikibobo
john
john
500 Club

Postby C-Dude » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:33 am

john wrote:What weights do guys shoot for when towing with a bike?

Easiest answer - as light as possible. Obviously, you shoot to not exceed the GVW ratings for the scoot, but using those calculations, you come up with some really weird numbers. I'm in the process of trimming some weight off my base trailer and now have estimates on the shell that should put my dry weight at about 200-230#'s. So plus 220# of dogs and my wife's 40+# suitcase, I'm guessing we will top the scales somewhere btw 460-495#'s or less. Keep your fingers crossed, I'm starting the build in about two weeks.
C-Dude
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Non-traditional Designs