Utility trailer & TTT slide in?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Utility trailer & TTT slide in?

Postby Ned B » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Hi folks,
I've been searching the archives here on the non-trad forum, to see about a slide-in design. My dad has a pretty stout 2 axle utility trailer which he uses to haul his Garden tractor to various sites. I'd like to build a slide in unit which will let me have the best of both worlds; utility yard trailer and a TTT.

I'd like a 'few' comforts... there will be three of us using the camper, the DW, myself and our youngest son who is 11 going on thirty. The utility trailer will let me build at least a 60" wide unit, I just have to figure out how I'll get it in and out of the trailer. Any examples you know of? I saw one person start a build , but nothing much else. I'll keep looking, but thought I'd run my idea up the flagpole and see who saluted.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Blotto Bros » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Do you remember the old truck bed campers that had the metal jacks in the corners? You could crank up all 4 sides and just drive out from under them. Something like that would be even easier with a low trailer. Might be a pain to line up to put it back on...but worth the effort.

I would bet getting 4 foldaway tongue jacks with wheels would even allow you to move it around while off the trailer.
Even those souls that are found must occasionally become lost to appreciate what they have.
Blotto Bros
Silver Donating Member

Postby steve smoot » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:24 am

There have been a couple of campers on here that do just that. Not sure how to find those old posts, maybe someone will post a link. :thinking:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby bobhenry » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:36 am

I move mini barns quite often....

I simply pry them up with a 4x4 and insert a few pieces of schedule 80 pvc and roll away.

If you could build a small evevated deck in the yard at the same height as the trailer deck it would be very simple to back up to it and roll the insert onto the deck using the roller method above. I would put a solid bottom on it maybe 3/4 plywood. (Think of a turtles belly). This way there is nothing to catch on or hop off of. With a solid storage foundation nothing will warp and it could act as a small storage building.

P.s by angling the pvc slightly the barn will steer a bit when rolled
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs