Fiberglass Box Build

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Fiberglass Box Build

Postby JoshInReno » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am

Hello everyone. I am so glad I found this site - and I hope to learn some things during my build.

I picked up this trailer off Craigslist for a couple hundred dollars about a month ago. I didn't really know what I was going to do with it, but it was so unique I couldn't pass it up. A lot of it is a mystery, but here is what is known:

1. The box is fiberglass. Yes, one solid piece of fiberglass. The box (of all things) was a refrigerated delivery box for something.

2. The frame is automotive. The axle an actual differential, pan hard bar and drum brakes. Even has shocks. I haven't been able to identify the axle (I work in automotive and am familiar with such things), or frame. The trailer is titled as "Custom" so the orgins are a mystery.

3. The person(s) who built the trailer owned a hunting ranch in Northern CA and used it for clients to sleep in while in remote areas. Hence the paint job when I bought it.

4. There is no electrical power.

Some rough dimensions: the box is a little over 7 feet long and a little over 5 feet wide. Interior height is around 4 feet. The "floor" of the trailer sits around 3 feet off the ground. Overall height is around 7 feet. Title lists the weight at 1000lbs.

So here are some pictures of the project so far:

Before:

Sanded, taped and primed:

Interior being painted white:

Frame painted gloss black and exterior first coat:

After second exterior coat:

For some reason I don't have any finished pictures of the interior white, but it's been completed. Lesson #1 learned: latex paint and fiberglass don't mix. I was trying to take a shortcut and it backfired. Ended up priming and spraying the interior after this picture. Turned out MUCH better.

Future plans:

1. Electrical system: 3 porch lights (one over each door), one cabin light, audio system, and hookup for TV/DVD player. One 85 watt solar panel and a 8-D battery. Yes, I know an 8-D battery weighs 150 pounds - but I like the reserve capacity and I need the tounge weight.

2. Interior: The sleeping platform right now is 4 feet wide - it will be extended to 5+ feet. The interior dimensions are just a few inches over the size of a queen mattress. Thinking about building a drawer system topped with a box to hold a queen mattress.

3. Exterior: Yes, someone cut a hole in the front of the box and glued a sheet of plexiglass in to create a window. I will be installing an actual RV window in it's place. Need to install leveling jacks and some steps at the doors. Also playing with an idea for a shower system; but that isn't a priority at this point.

So there we have it - it's my budget hunting trailer. Something to get my wife and I out of tent and the cold during the fall. I will keep updating as I go; progress will hopefully be quick as I am under a pretty serious time constraint to get this thing done. August 1, 2011 is the deadline.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, please feel free.
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alleged User » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 am

Wow...what a transformation. Beautiful job, and certainly a unique trailer. Cool find. :thumbsup:
Kelly & Duke
2011 ZZ Drop
Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. - Eskimo proverb
Alleged User
Donating Member

Location: Northern Virginia...not to be confused with Virginia.

Postby JoshInReno » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Alleged User wrote:Wow...what a transformation. Beautiful job, and certainly a unique trailer. Cool find. :thumbsup:

Thank you! I must confess I have done the entire job (not counting the latex attempt) with spray cans - like 48 of them if you count the primer, black, white and tan.

I really like how it turned out so far - I bet my neighbors do too! It was kind of an eye sore for a couple of weeks.

The next step (I think) will be to tear out the interior carpentry and re-do it the way that I want. I wish I knew a cabinet maker who would work for beer, as I am someone doubting my drawer building skills right now.

After that is done I will tackle the electrical, which will take about a weekend I think. Trying to get it "campable" for 4th of July weeked. The clock is ticking...
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby Cliffmeister2000 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 pm

I must admit, it is a great trailer for the price! Because it was used as a cold transport, it must be well insulated! I'd have to put a window in the side, though...

But you do what you want! Like I said, great, trailer! :applause:
God Bless

Cliff

♥God. ♥People.
1 John 4:9-11

My Teardrop build pictures
Cliffmeister2000
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Senior Ninja » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Please don't take this the wrong way. I think you are at risk of a tragedy. I don't see any vents or functioning windows on your trailer. At the very least, I'd install a roof vent and an opening window. I keep the both at least cracked before I'd
sleep in there.
Steve
Building the TD was the best thing I ever made.
Senior Ninja
Donating Member

Postby JoshInReno » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Senior Ninja wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way. I think you are at risk of a tragedy. I don't see any vents or functioning windows on your trailer. At the very least, I'd install a roof vent and an opening window. I keep the both at least cracked before I'd
sleep in there.
Steve

Thank you for your concern. There is a roof vent installed (didn't show up in any of the pictures). I am on the lookout for an opening window - just don't really know where to start looking. :thinking:
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby woytovich » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:36 pm

JoshInReno wrote:
Senior Ninja wrote:I am on the lookout for an opening window - just don't really know where to start looking. :thinking:

If you are so inclined (and it seems like you might be!) try a pick-n-pull junk yard... look for trailer caps, campers, conversion vans or an ambulance. Many will have windows you can scavenge for a song. Some will have other cool odds and ends like lighting, switches, cargo doors and latches etc etc
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby High Desert » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 am

Hi Josh. I think I remember that CL ad, glad to see it got a good home. Looks like the frame is a bobbed off small pickup, maybe an older import?

I've heard there is a trailer salvage yard in west Reno. Try sending a PM to member 'down under tech' here on the forum, I believe he knows the particulars. Johnny is a great guy, also in the automotive field. May help keep the budget down. Looks like a fun project you have there, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JoshInReno » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Yes, the frame is pickup - just not sure who made it. Interesting note: the box says Datsun on it. No kidding. I have tried to research Nissan/Datsun axles, but didn't have much luck as far as ID'ing the axle. It will probably be replaced with a Dexter anyway.

As far as the window goes, Ebay seems to be a good place to start. The problem I am running into is the size. I have to use the existing hole (plus a few more inches, tops) and the only part of the trailer that isn't insulated is the part where the hole is cut. I kid you not, the thickness of that little piece of wall is about 3/16" thick. So I need a long, skinny window with a mounting thickness no more than 1/4" thick - not the most common window on the market. I THINK I can have one custom made, but I'm sure something like that isn't cheap.
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby High Desert » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:02 am

Josh I just looked at your interior pics again and noticed the actual cutout shape for the window. Do you think possibly they used the rear window from the donor pickup at one time? Maybe a back window with a slider would work? The rubber mounting seal could work on the thin wall. Just a thought.
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JoshInReno » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 pm

High Desert wrote:Josh I just looked at your interior pics again and noticed the actual cutout shape for the window. Do you think possibly they used the rear window from the donor pickup at one time? Maybe a back window with a slider would work? The rubber mounting seal could work on the thin wall. Just a thought.

I suppose it is possible they used a rear window. The trick is to find out what the window came off of! I am still stumped as far as what the donor vehicle was.
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby the other side » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:17 pm

It kind of also looks like the shape of a truck cap window. I wish I could get a deal like that! That has so much possibility. Way Cool! Would it be easier to reshape the hole to a rectangle shape?
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby JoshInReno » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:00 pm

the other side wrote:It kind of also looks like the shape of a truck cap window. I wish I could get a deal like that! That has so much possibility. Way Cool! Would it be easier to reshape the hole to a rectangle shape?

Thanks! It was quite a find. And like a said before, just too unique to pass up. Yes, the hole will have to be resized to a rectangle. Right now I am waiting to find out how much a window would be.
JoshInReno
Teardrop Builder

Postby the other side » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Like I said... Way Cool!!! I hope you eventually find out what it WAS, and tell us. I am curious.
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby Dusty82 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 pm

I could just about guarantee that window came out of a pick-up. Those one piece OEM truck windows can be had for free at just about any place that installs sliding rear windows in pick-ups - they get so many of them, they don't know what to do with them. When I was learning how to etch glass, I picked up a dozen pick-up rear windows from a camper shell dealer and taught myself on them. Check the window for a part number - it's usually applied to one bottom corner or another. Any automotive glass shop can run that number and tell you what it's from.
TV: 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport

Currently stuck in a tent.
Dusty82
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs