Teardrop in the bed of a truck

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Postby angib » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:25 pm

There is a guy on eBay selling some detailed and decent quality plans for this pop-up truck camper for $20.

His seller name is meadgl and here is a current auction:

PLANS to build Unique POP-UP Truck Camper RV Truck Tent item number 260825630679
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:25 pm

Before I discovered Teardrop trailers this is what I was looking into. Now i am addicted to style and my idea was to combine the cabover camper simplicity with teardrop styling to come up with something cool.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 am

Wow... this is pretty close. Going to make an offer to him tomorrow. Sorry for the big pix, it is 1am..

Sitting on an old Chevy like mine:

I will let you know the result tomorrow. I didn't expect to buy one, and it is not a teardrop shape but it has the uniqueness of not being a cabover, that actually has an interior. That is super rare. Not to mention a hundred bux I hope
;)
Last edited by 2bits on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:25 pm

So it is tomorrow. Did you manage to get it? Hope so I think it looks pretty cool.
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:55 pm

I didn't feel right offering him a hundred, so I offered him $150, and he took it. After talking to him, he woulda gladly sold it for a hundred, too late now, I made the offer. I went out to look at it today and there is a little tiny section of rot neat the bottom front window, but everything else looks awesome.

The problem was that although this looks like a camper top with a door, no this is a really a cabover camper, just without the caborver and without the bottom section so it is heavy like a camper, I could life up the but just to where I was standing. No way could just us two guys lift it on the truck. It was worth a try. It will need 4 guys to get it on the truck and then what is cool about it is that since there isn't a bottom to it, I can still use my truck as a truck, and then toss the boards and the mattress in to go camping and you would not see the truck bed at all. I would like it to be more removable though so those cabover jacks would be a definite next purchase...

I so I had cash in hand and left empty handed... I am going to measure the height of my carport tonight in a bit to make sure it will fit, because it will need to stay on for a while.

I really like it and the price is right and while it is not a teardrop shape, it is the EXACT concept that inspired this thread. I am gonna see if I can rally some guys for the weekend.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby StandUpGuy » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:54 pm

So did you get it home?
StandUpGuy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Nope no one was available. I AM going to get it though, it is too perfect. I realize why no one was wanting it though... You really need camper jacks for it and online (new) they are like $350 for a pair and you need TWO pair. Insane. I will be hitting up my salvage yards coming soon.

I realized that my carport was 3" too short but thought of an easy way to raise it a few inches so that's cool.

I think it is funny that I had this fairly defined idea, and then boom, here is a custom camper built to "my" specifications presented to me within my budget. I love that the plywood under the mattress is removable so it can still be fully utilized as a "truck" and the camper acts like a topper as needed.

My boss is letting my leave at 2pm Monday and I am going to make the trek again and he has two shop workers during the day so we will be able to lift it on the truck then.
:twisted:

I am thinking I will leave the aluminum colors sides as-is and paint everything that is currently white to a maroon color that matches my truck. I would love to get them both painted at the same time, that will be looking really nice. Maybe I will at least get the truck buffed and waxed which I am sure will help tremendously.

Sorry to hijack my own thread with my personal purchase, but I guess it is still on topic...
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby CliffinGA » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:33 am

Thomas check on the net and there should be plans to build your own if you can weld. I know back in late 70' early 80's my dad had built him some for a truck camper he bought cheap that did not have any. His consisted of two pipes inside each other and a base plate at bottom and he drilled holes thru them and you lifted til under the camper puched up to the highest peg hole and inserted a pin in. Wish I had pics but mom never took pics of dad's improvising.

Cliff
In God we trust, shoot the rest and he will sort out!

My Build:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42628
CliffinGA
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:07 pm

Hey Cliff you know me well. I didn't think about plans tho, I will see what Google brings. I was just going to design and build some if the salvage yards yielded nothing!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby aggie79 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:16 am

Hey Thomas,

Haven't followed this thread for awhile. That truck camper looks cool! I think you have found a gem.

Man, you are making me look like a wimp. You have more projects going than I do and you're getting them done. I've decided to not let the heat get to me although I do take more breaks than I used too.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:26 am

Hey Tom,

Well, I wish I was just sitting back at the pool :? I just have alot of projects recently because everything ties into the big plan. I figure by this time next year, I can settle down and relax a little!

I am picking up the camper today if all goes according to plan! That will let me let go of the teardrop. I am going to redo the lower interior and possibly the roof section in a new paneling I found at a box store that looks much more authentic.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:30 pm

Driving my new camper home.. I guess it's time for a build thread, so here it is! I will be making this "Teardrop in a Truck" as cool as possible.

http://www.mikenchell.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=853340
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs