A New Twist on a Tent Trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: A New Twist on a Tent Trailer

Postby Txbum » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am

Morning everyone, I bought a Summit Haus tent from the ebay reseller...be careful, be aware that this tent is not the same tent shown on YouTube that is being assembled on the LGA( Let's Go Aero)....Little Giant trailer. The Ebay unit does not have a separate fly, large windows, and the poles do not slip into any sleeves . The instructions are pathetic. So I guess the old addage, " you get what you pay for" is so true., but with lemons you make lemonade! Since I have two extra trailers I will build a tent trailer for re-sale. :thumbsup: Txbum
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 pm

A bit earlier in this thread, schaney warned about the Summit Haus tents on ebay and amazon.com. They won't work on the LittleGiant trailer but should be fine for a home build trailer project. I was able to find a youtube video showing how to set one up. This one is the actual tent made for the LittleGiant utility trailer but the tent set up would be the same if not very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WIsi-744YJw

My reason for building a trailer is to (1) get up and off the ground at night, and (2) to simplify setting up my camp site. After watching this video, this would not satisfy my goal to simplify setting up my camp. So for me anyway, the Summit Haus tent is no longer an option. The $35 price tag makes it attractive, but I would not be happy with it because of the lengthy set up and take down.

:thumbdown:
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Txbum » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

Piefoot, I thank you for your responses...I hear you, need a quick setup.I do like the unit Guy built. I would like to know the size of the trailer and the box dimensions . I have on hand a NT ( Carry On ) built 5x8 ft no floor trailer and a pre harbor freight 4x8 trailer that I can use. I do understand Backwoods Guy used the long bed version on the truck tent . My question is should I build the box 5 ft or 6 ft wide? I can measure the depth of an average pickup bed . Txbum :thinking:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:30 am

I'm planning to use my HF 8' X 4' trailer. I haven't measured it out yet, but eye balling it, it looks like a 2" X 4" turned up on it's side will raise the floor enough to clear the height of the fenders. Then framing the floor to extend 6 inches beyond the frame, over the fenders on each side, will give me the 5 foot wide box I want for mine. I would like to get started but there is still too much snow on the ground here and this will be an outside project for me in the driveway. I may be able to get started in a few more weeks. :twisted:
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Txbum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:39 am

Piefoot, snow? It is spring time in Texas and the weather is really nice, high of 78*F today . I bought the Kodiak Canvas truck tent from DicksSporting Goods got a 10% off deal long story short $313.88 delivered. Strange , they had the full size , long canvas lower priced than the standard short bed. I called just to be sure correct item shipped because my e-mail confirmation stated short bed__ long canvas. It was sort of confusing. The rep stated that the full sized bed, long canvas unit will be shipped at the 299.99 price minus 10%, but with shipping and taxes it crept back up to $313.88. I will probably do like you, use the 4 x8 trailer ..save the 5x10 trailer for a tear drop....Txbum : :beer:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 am

Sounds good Txbum.

Yes, snow. We just had another snow storm roll through a few days ago. I live in the mountains in far northern California area, right at about 4000 feet elevation. Funny how the first snow is a pleasing and welcome sight each year, but after cabin fever sets in, we're ready for good weather. All that pent up energy. That information would confuse anyone. You got a good price on it though. I'm looking forward to watching your build progress, that is if you intend to post it here or maybe in a new thread. Sounds good and good luck to you. I hope to start mine maybe in mid April or early May.
:beer: Fun with Smileys, LOL.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piefoot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:35 pm

I'm also looking at an idea to build a 6-1/2 (L) foot X 5 )W) foot box on the rear of the 8 foot HF trailer frame and use a Military Surplus pup tent (2 shelter halves) with some minor modification as the tent portion. One of the mods would be to maybe use a PVC frame that can be easily disassembled when not in use. Same idea to have the raised platform for the bed and carrying the camping gear in plastic storage tubs under. Then build a cargo box up front for the remaining 1-1/2 feet of bed space. The cargo box could be used to carry extra gear, firewood, or whatever. This idea just came up yesterday and I'm exploring it a bit. Sorry, but I don't have any photos or diagrams. Hope my description was sufficient.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Txbum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 pm

Piefoot, yes..I do see the plans you have. I think you have a good idea with the canvas shelters. Have you considered EMT ( electrical metallic tubing) ?.... connecters such as straight couplers, 45* , 90* are available. EMT is easy to bend , if you don't have an EMT tubing bender, Harbor Freight Tools has them in stock ..cheap too. I plan to start the box this weekend and hopefully have it ready by Easter. I will post a new thread probably under this section, call it " Truck Tent Trailer " Txbum :beer:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:08 pm

Actually, my Brother in Law is a certified electrician and he was discussing EMT last night. Sounds like a better way to go than my original plan to use PVC. Great, I'll be watching for your thread.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Txbum » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm

Piefoot, received the truck tent , it is model # 7218 full sized long canvas as stated on the Dicks Sporting Goods site. I measured the length of the box area of canvas as eight feet long. The part that extends into tail gate was not measured. So I figure the box 5x8 plus a two foot tail gate will probably work out. I will begin construction this coming weekend. :beer: Txbum
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

I'm excited for you txbum. Looking forward to following your thread. Good luck!
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby piefoot » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Txbum, haven't heard or seen anything on your trailer build yet. Hope everything is looking good for you. I've been waiting for a chance to see some teardrops up close and in person before committing to anything. Teardrops were my first choice as much as 2 years ago but my wife wasn't sold on the idea at all. Long story short, we attended the full 5-day 20th Dam Gathering of the Tears in Lakehead, CA last week. I live about 90 minutes from the campground where they held the gathering. We saw some really well done teardrops. My wife was impressed more so than I had expected and is now asking me when I plan to start ours. I hope she understands it's not going to happen over night, LOL.

Anyway, I'm on the hunt for a trailer, hopefully I will find a good deal on one measuring 5 feet wide by 8 or 9 feet long. One step at a time. I like the weekender models but there wasn't a weekender to see throughout the 5 days at that gathering. We'll see how it goes.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Backwoods Guy » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

WOW!!

I haven't been following this thread in a long time and was suprised to see it active again.

While I haven't seemed to be able to take it out as much as I'd like, I have been very happy with the resaults. The tent has held up very well, it hasn't been off the trailer since I installed it there. There are a few spots where the color has bled off the cover tarp onto the tent but to no ill effect.

I just went out to take a few measerments of my box and found it to be 67" wide out to out and 21" deep from top of rail to floor. I started out with a 5X8' trailer, then built a little shelf over the fenders to get the 67" in width. You can see this in some of the pics.

It has proven to be a little bit heavier than I'd like for my Sentra, but the car pulls it fine and still gets around 28MPG. The trick I've found is to not overload it with more stuff than you really need. But that's always the trick, isn't it?

Thanks for the interest, take care, Guy
Backwoods Guy
Teardrop Builder

Postby Txbum » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am

Piefoot, I have everything in place ( that means all parts , money, but no tiempo ( time)....but soon I will have a summer vacation and I am getting started. Around Memorial day Northern Tools puts it's trailers on sale. One year I bought a NT 5x8 for $249.99 plus tax. No floor , 12 inch wheels but room for larger 13 inch wheels if needed, lights, title road ready. Guy, backwoods guy thanks again for replying to my pm. Txbum... :thumbsup:
Txbum
Titanium Donating Member

Postby piefoot » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Backwoods Guy has inspired us with his tent trailer build. Glad to hear it has held up as well as it has. I'll be pulling whatever I build with a Nissan Pathfinder so I will be able to handle a little more weight than a Sentra. Good thing too as my wife seems to think we need to pack along a lot of unnecessary stuff "just in case." LOL

Good news Txbum, looking forward to seeing your progress. I picked up a boat trailer for $170. I've stripped off the bunks and rollers and with one or two more clean up efforts (shorten the tongue and deal with a little rust) I will be ready to paint it. The frame will allow me to build an 8 to 9 foot long bed so it would work similar to Backwood Guy's trailer and design.

Here's a picture of the trailer after removing the bunks and rollers.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs