anyone seen this?

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: anyone seen this?

Postby del » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Could one use the lifting mechanism out of a pop up tent trailer to raise the hinge?
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby bgordon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:37 pm

del wrote:Could one use the lifting mechanism out of a pop up tent trailer to raise the hinge?

I suppose you could, since the lifting mechanism for the front part of the Odyssey is similar to those used in pop-ups. However, this will only work for the front of the trailer. The Odyssey used a different lifting mechanism for the back. There two huge springs (somewhat similar to washing pegs) were used to lift the back section. It can be seen on the one (old) photo where the back of the trailer is shown.
Barrie

Keep moving forward.
Psalm 1:1-3.

Build Journal: bgordon's 5 week cardboard & fiberglass build
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=38781
bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby bgordon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:45 pm

bgordon wrote:
del wrote:Could one use the lifting mechanism out of a pop up tent trailer to raise the hinge?

I suppose you could, since the lifting mechanism for the front part of the Odyssey is similar to those used in pop-ups. However, this will only work for the front of the trailer. The Odyssey used a different lifting mechanism for the back. There two huge springs (somewhat similar to washing pegs) were used to lift the back section. It can be seen on the one (old) photo where the back of the trailer is shown.

Here is the photo, with the springs shown...

Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Junkboy999 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:10 am

Wow thanks for posting this info.

I have been looking in to this design as well. I was thinking the same thing that a smaller version of this
would look nice.

I never seen anything about “Odyssey Trailer Company, Santa Ana California” until you posted your info.

What I got is the company moved to Magnolia Arkansas around 61 with the help of the head of the First
National Bank. It appears this banker lured several companies to Magnolia and then foreclosed and
liquidated the companies if they had troubles. ( Sound like Trump )

The company only made 40 trailers before closing in 63.

The one you see in the magazine add and the one in the storage lot is a bit different then this one. Look
at this video Price is Right 1-1-1962 part 1. Starting about 8:46 min you’ll see the Odyssey convertible sports
trailer, Made by the Odyssey Trailer Company, Magnolia Arkansas. If you watch closely you see a guy in the
front has to manually raise the front maybe 1 1/2 foot to 2 foot. Also look at the tail lights. They are on the
top part. The side panels have a different hinge line as well. Maybe they redesigned it from 58 to 62

Price is Right Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6cAJo8cLlA

Sample of the 1964 video.

and my cad work.

Junkboy999
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bgordon » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:34 am

Terry,

Wow! You really uncovered a gem there! Thanks for the info.

This is undoubtedly the Odyssey version 2, which must be a much simplified version from the initial Odyssey. I noticed the entrance steps which have been omitted in the video version. In the video I see that they climb over and into the trailer.

It is great to finally see the interior!

The lifting mechanism must also have been greatly simplified. The original patent info shows the front part being cranked up by a pulley system. Now it is simply lifted (although I think it must still be fairly heavy)! The back section's lifting mechanism remains the same as the original Odyssey.

The side walls have also been simplified (as you mentioned). Now there is only one hinge line down the length of the trailer, which is opposed to the two hinge lines in the original Odyssey.

I personally like the original design better. The second simplified design may be better from a commercial perspective though. It is really a pity that only 40 was made....

Thanks again for sharing the video link!
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:24 pm

Sorry in advance for bringing this old thread back to life. I found a pic of the Odyssey interior with the top removed. I am thinking about modifying this design for my tandem project.

Curt
Attachments
035.jpg
Interior view
035.jpg (92.22 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bgordon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:18 am

Whiskeysmoke,

Nothing to apologise for! I have wanted to see an interior pic like this for a few years now. Thanks for sharing!

Would you mind posting the web url where you found this picture?

Thanks!
Barrie

Keep moving forward.

bgordon
Teardrop Master

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:53 pm

[url]http://www.campercommunity.com/forum/rv-camper-discussions/2447-i-need-help-identifying-classic-camper.html/url]

Here ya go. Looks like the man who owns the blue/white one was looking for more info on his camper. The post is from 2012.

Curt
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:50 pm

I struck GOLD! 24 pics of an original Odyssey camper. So which one of you bought it?

https://picclick.com/Very-Rare-Vintage-Prototype-Odyssey-Popup-Trailer-152304578242.html
Last edited by Whiskeysmoke on Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Muran123 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:26 pm

What are you installing on the roof and sides

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Muran123
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs