Built a Model

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Built a Model

Postby Dee Bee » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:50 pm

I havbe built a model of my design

Please view at http://www.nfdc.net/home/cbdb/Micro%20Camper.htm

Comments welcome

Dee
Grace happens...
Dee Bee
500 Club

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:52 am

Hey DeeBee,

You put a lot of work into that model. It looks nice.

Your drawing shows a dropped floor. Since you didn't model the floor I can't tell if that is still part of the plan. Is it?

It appears that you have the side window overlapping with the interior cabinettes. You might want to revisit that. Or you could just put the window in the door.

Good scale you picked though... 2" = 1'. I do my models in that scale too!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:37 am

Actually, Rik built a good looking model with a footwell. Here's his webpage.

http://webs.lanset.com/rikeller/Trailer ... railer.htm

and here are the photos of his floor and footwell...
http://webs.lanset.com/rikeller/Trailer ... railer.htm

I would have to ask Rik if he had or has any problems with his footwell, and what he would do different if he were to do it again. Rik, what da ya think?

Regarding your window placement, I guess looks can be deceiving! 3" clearance sounds okay. What kind of doors are you going to have on your inside cabinets? They'll block the window when open, right?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby R Keller » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:35 pm

And a photo of the footwell "in action" here:

No problems with the footwell so far. But that's probably because I had Grant Whipp fabricate it for me. I don't think I would do anything differently. It functions well and as intended.

I love the fact that it spans nearly the width of the trailer floor and that I have equal room for seating on both sides. I haven't constructed the table yet (just using 2 temporary MDF panels right now), so it will be nice when I have that option also. I carpeted the footwell with marine-grade carpet from Cabelas and have attached it with velcro so I can take it out and clean it, as neccessary. The carpeting will also provide a little insulation from the bare metal walls.

The 7" depth is perfectly comfortable in combination with my 5" thick cushions. Kind of a "lounge-y" feel like a low sofa, but not at all awkward or uncomfortable. For extra seating height, I can also double up my cushions as shown below, for a 17" seat height. There's even enough headroom in the front side (sloped and curved so shorter than the galley side) for me (6'2" but with longer torso) to sit there.

R Keller
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs