Mini Popup with MOAB tent

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Mini Popup with MOAB tent

Postby adam25 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I've been a long time lurker and a huge fan of teardrop. For the past couple years, I've been driving my girlfriend crazy planning and talking about a build. Unfortunately we kept coming back to the question of what to do with our 2 60lb dogs in a teardrop.

I also really liked the simplicity of the MOAB tent and the explorer box, but was not comfortable with the idea of them sleeping in the changing room addition, and there isnt room in the bed for all four of us.

Here is what I have come up with. This is my first time using Google sketchup, had a lot of fun with it. All measurements are approximate.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the MOAB tent Image

My plan is to build on a 4X8 trailer. Since the tent is 56" wide I will build over the wheels. The base will be a 8'long, 30"high, and 60"wide box.
Under the bed will be open storage, and space for the dogs to sleep once we set up. With the tent mounted on the front 42" of the trailer, that will leave a small area to build a small dinette that is 36" wide. There will also be a small table that will be able to convert into a child size bed in the future(no kids yet), a bit smaller than shown in the sketchup.

I am also planning on building a small slide out kitchen. just a small sink, camp stove and work area. when traveling, it will be stored on the floor of the trailer between the seats.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about this plan. I am still undecided about how to close in the back of the trailer. I thinking of wood frame covered with canvas that will fold up and pack away when in travel mode.

-Adam
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby steve smoot » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:16 am

I like the idea, but would a standard pop up not work just as well? :thinking:
I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing...
steve smoot
Lifetime member

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:24 am

steve smoot wrote:I like the idea, but would a standard pop up not work just as well? :thinking:

BLASPHEMY!! Come on, Steve! That just wouldn't be as much fun!! :R
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby adam25 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 am

I like the idea, but would a standard pop up not work just as well?

I really like the quicksilver 6.0 by LivinLite, and that is the trailer that got me thinking about building my own popup. I also thought about some of the motorcycle/small car trailers but most of them were a little on the small size
but wasnt a fan of the $5,000+ price tag.

My other concern was my tow vehicle, 2011 Hyundai Elantra touring
Rated to tow 750lbs without trailer brakes, 1,500lbs with.

But mostly Zach is right, a lot more fun and satisfying to do-it-myself
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:29 am

Adam, great idea ... this is why I built some flexibility into the MOAB, so people could get creative in how they use them.

Sounds like your overall plan will work nicely. For the back area I think you could make a modified changing room work.

Look forward to seeing your project progress into the sawdust flying stage.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby adam25 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:26 am

still in the planning stages, but I did get a trailer hitch from my girlfriend for my birthday. Hope to have the build completed for next summer
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:58 am

Sounds like a good Winter project. One part at a time, start with the hitch and work your way back :)
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:17 am

Scott,

When I was last dreaming of a tent-topped teardrop I thought all the available options had the door on the end farthest from the base. Your MOAB photos here show the door on the non-folding portion. (did that change?)

Anyhow, the MOAB looks like it would now be perfect for mounting on a teardrop. 'Upstairs' residents could climb on the trailer fender and sidewall-mounted grab rail for access, and it could be situated so that the changing room covers the TD door area as well.

I think we're getting close to a compact 4-person teardrop with two sleeping downstairs and two up in the tent.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:53 am

Jim, You are correct, I've made a change to the MOABs.

The first batch we did had the door on the side with the folding portion of the platform.

Now they have been rotated 180 degree so the door is on the other end.

I like the idea of a spare bedroom upstairs!
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby adam25 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I am curious if anyone knows what the weight savings would be, if any, of constructing the trailer with aluminum frame and skin, or plywood and wood frame?

My ulitimate goal is to keep the weight under #700 total for the trailer
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby adam25 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:29 pm

a better rendering of the the trailer in the open position and travel mode. Again, built on a 30"x5'x8' box. There is enough rooom for a 36" long dinette that will be able to convert into a child size bed. And a pull out kitchen box.

Another concern of mine is weight and balance. Does anyone see any problem with this layout as far as weight and balance of the trailer? The MOAB tent only weights 40# and will be placed in roughly the middle of the trailer once mounted.
adam25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby schaney » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:10 pm

It's going to depend on how you build.

An Explorer Box built from marine Okoume and one built from 1/8" 3030 aluminum have a 5% weight difference.

For calculating the weigh of the plywood version use 20 lbs for a sheet of 1/4" Okoume or 25 lbs for a 1/4" of ACX. Don't have actual aluminum weights.

Hard to say on the balance without having loaded weight data. With the HF frames you can reposition the axle if needed.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Return to Non-traditional Designs