Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Postby TJinPgh » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:50 pm

I like that extended version. Pretty much eliminates any possibility of leveraging. Not that much existed to begin with.

On a (potentially) unrelated subject. Are there any plans for add on rooms for any of the tents?

I know that the M.O.A.B. has the changing room, but I was wondering if there were any thoughts on making something larger. Maybe like a 10x10 or something. Possibly something with a floor in it?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:26 pm

TJ, both the Compact & Extended have their pros & cons. The Extended is great for the extra space and is the platform I'm getting ready to prototype hard sided camper options with.

I do have an arch awning / tent that is 10' x 6', comes with end panels and an elastic connector panel, although it does not have a floor, check out details at http://www.top-tent.com/packableawning.htm .

At this time no plans for a larger changing room, although I'm logging your interest in one.

Here are a few pictures of my Dinoot out and about.

Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:38 am

I was looking back a couple of pages at the tent options you were thinking about for the extended tub. Seems like you could offer a 3rd option without a whole lot more development that falls right in between the wedge tent option and the hard-side you're working on.

You could do the drop down tent on all four sides rather than just the three sided wedge. Would look similar to the hard side but would just snap on three sides with the door at the tailgate.

This would allow people the option of which direction they'd like to sleep as it's been my experience that getting out of the tent is easier when your feet are at the door.

Both the wedge and box design would also allow people to use a basic easy up canopy as an add-a-room with minimal modification to a side wall.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:42 am

TJ, seems like a logical additional option. A straight up roof would need some kind of "clean" lift mechanism, should be to hard to come up with.

Yes an arch awning or standard 10x10 canopy would work nicely. Possible a roll out bag style awning with add-a-room also.

With the Dinoots I'm trying to build in a much flexibility as possible for factory and customer developed options and model variations.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:42 am

On the simple tent (wedge) version, what did you have in mind to hold the one end of the roof up?
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 pm

Most likely gas strut supported.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:57 am

Got Kayaks?

There are a number of kayak / canoe trailers out there; SportsRig, Yakima Rack and Roll or Dooit to name a few. IMHO the drawbacks with these is that they are basically a rolling frame with racks for a premium price.

For about the same price, you can build a Dinoot trailer with racks for hauling kayaks, a canoe, kite boards, a wind surfer, etc. The difference is you also have a nice fiberglass trailer tub which provides substantial additional storage space.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:50 pm

Here are a couple of customer Dinoots and my demo Dinoot out and about

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:13 am

Here are some more out and about photos of my demo Dinoot trailer.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:21 am

Here are some shoots of a smaller "Micro" size tub I'm prototyping. Aiming it at two-person vehicles and motorcycles. Idea is it could be built on a 40x48 Harbor Freight frame.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:33 pm

I really like what your doing with these. I do wonder what the market would be for these being as much DIY as they are but its a fantastic idea for those that would prefer some DIY in their projects. Will you be selling completed trailers as well or just kits?
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:56 pm

Wimperdink, Thanks, We've official been selling Dinoot kits since June and are keeping our molds full. We can also build ready to roll Dinoots for folks. My intention is to establish a network of "build" partners that cab built to order Dinoots for local customers. We currently have a build partner outside of Austin, TX
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:24 am

Over the Memorial weekend this year we took a Dinoot on a trek across southeastern Oregon to the corner of OR/NV/ID, Here is a video from the trip that a friend Matt sent me, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flM5ZbG9aVU&feature=youtu.be
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

The Micro prototype is coming along, here is a picture of it sitting on standard 12" tires

Been getting a lot of people asking, "What does it really cost to build one of these Dinoots?" To assist in understanding the cost I've put together a 'build sheet' of items necessary to put a Base Compact Dinoot together. Check it out at Dinoot build Budget
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:53 am

Few shots of my demo Compact Dinoot configured as a gear hauler out for some Winter waterfall hunting.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Non-traditional Designs