Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Fiberglass bolt-together trailers

Postby schaney » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I have something new in the works, fiberglass bolt-together trailer kits. Ones created from a modular collection of components easily configured into a range of trailer tub and body options. For keeping cost down, they are designed to use reconfigured readily available bolt-together frame kits.

Part of the concept is being able to build it in increments and upgrade over time to spread out the cost. Get your frame built up and running first. Then add a tub kit and start just it. Next if you need it, add a tailgate and cover? After using some, maybe; bigger tires, a folding tent unit, slide out kitchen, front rack? If your needs change, just reconfigure it.

They have strong Jeep styling and are designed to use many off the shelf Jeep parts. For those with a Jeep looking for a trailer, they are a natural choose. With their compact size and light weight, they will also work great while looking good behind any vehicle.

The idea is there will be individual front, rear and side panels that you drill and bolt together. Once your tub is together you would attach it to a floor such as plywood or aluminum diamond plate.

My initial thinking is to first introduce an open tub Compact version around 4 1/2' long. Then an Extended version around 6 1/2' long. These would work as gear hauler or tent topped camper. If there is interest it will be easy to make a smaller version tub based on the 40x48 bolt-together frames for motorcycles or ATVs. Then stretching the tub to 7 1/2' or 8' and adding an upper section for building compact hardsided campers.

For the Compact tub version, the target price including your frame kit is around $1200. What do people think? Sound interesting? Any feedback?

Status Update 05/10/12:
Dinoot Trailers have hit a major milestone! Tub kits are shipping, visit the web-site for pricing details.

A new related thread
Started a new thread for exploring expanding the tub kits into a modular “Teardrop” size camper. Check it out at Dinoot Camper
Last edited by schaney on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Scott
Camping the "Compact Way"
schaney
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 am

Hmm, I've been watching the same thread over at the expedition trailer site and I thought that was your tent:

I'm intrigued by the concept but I think it would be hard to get at anything in the trailer when the tent is open.

Original Build Thread

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Treeview » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 am

A tiny trailer isn't for me.

I was forced to use a HF frame for a trailer at work. I told my boss that it wasn't going to hold up to the use I needed. One of the welded trailers from Northern would have been better. He didn't listen...went cheap...then had the mechanics add a longer tongue, weld the 'bolt-together' frame...then they had to add more flat stock front to rear to keep it from falling apart...the tires lasted about a year...this trailer was used for hauling brush loads on a 140 acre campus. Not heavy, long time use.

My preference for tongue jacks is to have them on the driver's side. That way the driver, who is the most likely person to be hitching the trailer, doesn't have to go over the tongue or around the trailer.

Tom
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:30 am

Bdosborn, the thread on Expo & JeepForum are by the designer. I'm working with him now to bring them to market.

On my Explorer Boxes, I find around 4 1/2' the maximum length for easily reaching in to grab stuff. For a tub like this, would you build it without a tailgate and want to access gear from the top? If so, would you find a hinged hardtop or your tent unit elevated on a rack for a better solution?

Tom, bolt-together frame do have their limitations. Based on my experience and seeing many home-builder use them, the heavy duty HF model will be suitable for lighter duty usage. For heavier duty off-road service, we plan on offering an upgraded fully welded frame with high-end smooth riding springs, shocks and 3500 lb axle. Good point on the tongue jack.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby bdosborn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:13 pm

schaney wrote:On my Explorer Boxes, I find around 4 1/2' the maximum length for easily reaching in to grab stuff. For a tub like this, would you build it without a tailgate and want to access gear from the top? If so, would you find a hinged hardtop or your tent unit elevated on a rack for a better solution?

I have one of these on my pickup and I love it:

BUT, they're expensive and too big. I've seen quite a few jeep trailers with DIY hard tops, seems like that would be nice.

That way you could have a pull out galley at the tailgate and flip the tent up for access to the inside of the trailer.

Bruce
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby schaney » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:11 am

Bruce, Thanks for your additional thoughts. Already have a good soft tonneau option for them. Also looking into doing a hard cover possibly a revised revision of this one.

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Jeep style Camper

Postby schaney » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:19 am

Here are a few prototype pictures of initial thoughts on a hardsided camper version. The idea is starting with a shell that can be tailor to your needs. Footprint is around 5' x 8'.

One thought I have is sloping the front back some?

What do people think? What features and options would you want to see?

Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby Treeview » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Having roof brackets that bolt through the top of any trailer seems problematic. Any hole can lead to a leak even with good sealants.

Since you're making yours from 'glass it seems easy to add tabs with mounting holes/anchors in them.

If I was modifying a top I'd look into encasing a C-channel on the bottom of the C so that bolts could be run through the top plate of the C. This would give a flat surface to bolt to.

An angle piece with holes every 4-6" would work too.

No holes in the roof of my home!
Treeview
The 300 Club

Postby schaney » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Treeview, with the correct sealant / gaskets I have no concerns about leak free holes through a roof. For attaching the side panels to the roof panel there are 1" mating flats molded into both for bolting them together. The roof will also have a drip rail on it.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby b.bodemer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I like it!

Barb
b.bodemer
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby schaney » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:03 pm

Thanks Barb
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby woytovich » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 am

Keep us updated...

Have you thought about a mechanism to raise/lower the topper? Low for travel, up for camping?

mark
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby woytovich » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:01 am

schaney wrote:Bruce, Thanks for your additional thoughts. Already have a good soft tonneau option for them. Also looking into doing a hard cover possibly a revised revision of this one.

What are the dimensions of this? I was looking for something like this too... I was even looking at golf cart tops!
Mark - Metro New York
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby schaney » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:15 am

Mark, this top is 7'-5" long x 59" wide, it was initially designed as part of a Jeep Limited hardtop. The hardtop project is underway, should make it to market next year some time.

We are considering using the same design to make hardtops for the trailers tubs. Initial thought is these would be hinged on the front for opening.

Then we also plan on using the top as-is for the hard sided camper design being worked on.
Scott
schaney
500 Club

Postby woytovich » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 pm

A top specifically designed to fit on the military M416 trailer would be a good seller. It would be great if it could be used directly on top of the trailer with a tilt hinge OR be used as a top to a trailer cap (that could be raised vertically to allow more interior space when parked.

I would be HAPPY to work with you on this. Contact me at mark@woytovich com to discuss more...
Mark - Metro New York
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Non-traditional Designs