Kitchen Questions

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Kitchen Questions

Postby kellylaverna » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey all,

I'm trying to decide my kitchen layout for an 4' by 8' teardrop. I want to be able to access the kitchen in and outside of my teardrop - as in no wall and storage compartments separating the sleeping area from the cooking area. Is there any structural reason this is so uncommon in teardrops?

For the rest of the kitchen, instead of an icebox I'm planning to use a yeti-cooler (http://www.yeticoolers.com/) and I've got a small propane tank with a single burner coleman stove for cooking. I'm also hoping to install a small boat sink (with cutting board insert) that drains to the exterior.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?
kellylaverna
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Kitchen Questions

Postby bobhenry » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:18 pm

kellylaverna wrote:Hey all,

. Is there any structural reason this is so uncommon in teardrops?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

The galley wall adds a great deal of strength to keep the walls from racking. A pass thru is very dooable but you will need at least a partial wall to stiffen the body.

Think of the top. bottom and 2 side walls as a cardboard box without the end flaps folded. This is what the body will want to do ...

without a shear wall to stiffen things up.

Even a small 12 to 15 inch tall cabinet over your feet adds a great deal of strength if it is installed hammer fit tight.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby iSpy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm

This link was recommended on another thread

http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q120 ... =slideshow

100's of kitchen layouts for TDs

:) :)
iSpy
Teardrop Advisor

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Hmmm.... :thinking:

So, you'll put in the counter and lower cabinets but not the top ones, right? If so, why not frame in that top area for slider doors or doors that lift up and out of the way, so you can have the area closed when you’re outside and open when you're inside. That way, you would still be able to use it from the inside but you could hide the bedroom area when you're using it from outside. There are all kinds of options for using the galley that way... cubby holes in the counter top; cabinets on the sides...etc. 8)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby rmclarke » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi

I'm with what Bob Henry said about strength and structural integrity.

This is what we did cuz we wanted a pass thru also...like Sharon suggested, how about a sliding door?....or mebbe lift up doors?

View from galley into cabin:
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Re: Kitchen Questions

Postby PanelDeland » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Having a door there also helps keep the crawlies outta yer bed.
"I know the voices in my head aren't real,but they have some really good Ideas!"
PanelDeland
Teardrop Master

Return to Non-traditional Designs