Tent Top Trailer

Design & Construction of anything that's not a teardrop e.g. Grasshoppers or Sunspots

Re: Tent Top Trailer

Postby agrimm » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:27 pm

Kludge, I actually have a few EZ up canopies that have the slanted legs. After some reading I found that the vertice legs do exist. I found on ebay several that have the verticle legs with the sides for a relatively low price. I went so far as to e-mail the seller and double check the leg configuration.
agrimm
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Be aware that with many of the slanted leg canopies, the dimensions given are for the leg positions, not the dimensions of the roof. So, a 10x10 slanted leg canopy will be 9x9 or something similar at the canopy, and 10x10 at the ground.

Many times, you need the straight leg 10x10 canopy to actually get a 10x10 cover.

Probably some exceptions so just make sure of what you're buying.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby jstrubberg » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I like your box design, but the ez up top bothers me a bit. A straight side wall like that is going to be a challenge in any kind of wind. With a tent, you slant the wall for strength or you put out a guy rope to add tension.

Have you thought about how your design will accommodate weather?
The more stuff I take along, the more time I spend taking care of my stuff!
jstrubberg
500 Club

Postby TJinPgh » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 am

We talked about that a bit earlier in the thread.

The legs would, as I recall, be anchored to the trailer once it's opened up.

Given reviews I've read from owners of various brands and types of canopies, so long as it's a good, solid canopy with a well built frame, I wouldn't think it would be a huge issue.

I mean, it's not likely to withstand gale force winds so, if you plan on using it during hurricane season some planning might be in order.

But, I doubt I'd want to be in a tent of any kind under such situations.

As long as it's anchored well it shouldn't be a huge issue.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Postby piefoot » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:27 pm

Not sure if this thread is still alive or if agrimm ever completed this tent trailer project. I'm considering a build of my own similar in many ways to your original design. Mine will be based on a boat trailer frame. I'm thinking along the lines of a basic canvas tent probably 8' long and 12 feet wide. I have not yet located a source for the tent itself. I may have to have it custom made. But I'm considering using schedule 80 pvc pipe (probably the 2' diameter) for an internal frame. Agrimm, if you finished this project I would love to see some pictures and any info on what worked and what didn't you might provide. Thanks all.
piefoot
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Non-traditional Designs